How to spray expanding foam into tight gaps?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I hope you can help me. I do a little DIY, but I have a lot to learn. The current cold snap has made me realise how leaky my house is and I am on a mission to try and patch it up. I have noticed in our kitchen that there is lots of cold air coming in between gaps between the floor and the skirting boards. The floor is concrete with LVT (sadly we did not realise how uneven it was when it was done) and the walls are mainly dot and dab.

The gap between floor and floor board tapers down from about 5mm to 0. If I taped up the area, to avoid spoiling it, is there a way to get expanding foam into that small gap?

I have found items in America that look promising, but I cannot find similar in the UK
Is expanding foam suitable here? And is there something I can use to help direct the foam into that tight spot?

I do have a foam gun, if that helps.

Thank you!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Foam is not suitable here if you want to do the job with the skirting and flooring still intact.

You can get neat products like DraughtEx or other clones that are a foam rod you shove in and it expands.

You might then want to investigate where the air is comming from in the first place - if the joist ends are exposed into the cavity without filling gaps around or the dot and dab does not have a continuous perimeter of dabs perhaps.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Agreed - caulk the gaps. Expanding foam works slower and slower the nearer to freezing point you get and below 2 or 3 degrees C it just stops expanding - and after a cold night, as we've recently had, the materials you are trying to seal can be very cold

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
would silicon be better - try to squeeze under the gap, wipe off along the skirting, so nothing showing as such.

would silicon be better - try to squeeze under the gap, wipe off along the skirting, so nothing showing as such.

No, caulking would be better as it can then be painted to match the skirting boards.

• Thanks
Does caulk allow for expansion of wood floors though? Thought I read once that silicon better with some types of wood floor under skirtings. But caulk probably easier and cleaner!

• Thanks
That looks a bit like the Compraband we use for sealing floor edges against rough brick walls, etc. It's good, but the stuff we use runs about £20 a roll, which is maybe a bit pricey for a small job

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sorry I was not clearer, but the flooring is not floorboard - it is just vinyl tiles on a concrete subfloor (with underfloor heating).

In other parts of the house where there are floorboards, and the same problem, I have used caulk and that expanding foam (not at the same time). The foam works well, although is hard to squeeze in. But you need a certain size gap.

@Swwils Unfortunately the house is all done, and I cannot pull off bits. But you are probably right about there not being a "continuous perimeter of dabs". I would have never known to check for this in the first place :(

Just done this process on a couple of my rooms, I used a good quality clear sealant and standard gun... You can get a Good finish and it’s a lot less messy than foam.

• Thanks
I think it is worth mentioning that there is such a product as paintable silicon caulk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back