How much leg room is needed next to a toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new wc is being fitted soon - the back to the wall : pan will be fitted to a reduced depth unit by Ideal Standard or Utopia, the cistern being concealed in the unit. My question is, if the unit is fitted into a corner, how wide a unit is needed to give enough leg room when sitting on the loo? Is a 500mm unit wide enough? I don't want to find that you can't sit on the loo properly and have to sit at an angle. One family member is, let me say, rather large and wide... :oops:
(Next door has an Ideal Standard Space wc, the one with the peculiar round shape, and they hate it and want to get rid of it for a more normal shape.)

Sponsored Links
I would always recommend 1000 wide and a totally clear 500 minimum in front of the toilet pan.

But what about the hand basin?

Tony

I am finding it hard to get my head around the question. Time for a sketch with dimensions perhaps?
One good way of sussing out jobs like this is to sit the 'large one' on a throne and get busy with a tape measure

Sponsored Links
A standard public cubical is 800 x 1.8m if thats any help

But a private cubicle can be a little smaller as people dont inject themselves there.

But it has to be wider to accommodate the hand basin within.

Tony

I've just done some measuring. It's all so impossibly (?)tight. In the current layout the old loo is at 45 degrees to the corner and has a high level cistern. The wc is being replaced with a boxed in cistern for safety reasons which I won't elaborate here, but of course this is less space-efficient. The handbasin - next to the wc - already protudes over the old bath, which is not boxed in either. There will be a new boxed in bath (again for safety reasons) and the hand basin will also be in a unit. So the handbasin will protude even further over the bath... I think we need an expert joiner to make the units but the builder wants to use Ideal Standard Space reduced depth units and adapt them.
By the way, I think we might be able to get away with a 700mm unit for the wc - seems to leave enough just enough space for leg and shoulder not to be squashed against the wall. Wouldn't want to find out too late that this wasn't enough, though!

15 inches (375mm) from the wall to the center of the pan is generally the minimum you can get away with which leaves leg room from the side of the pan to the wall of about 10 or 11 inches.

500 mm is way to tight which is 250mm from the wall to the center of the pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back