How much of a boiler replacement/installation can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at the cost of replacing my Baxi Bermuda with a combi boiler, for various reasons. Cost savings are not one of them! So the more I can DIY, the better. I think I'm allowed to do some of the work myself, am I right?

Things I'm not allowed to do:

> Disconnect old boiler from gas
> Route new gas feed to new boiler site (source is ~200cm away in same room)
> Install and connect new boiler and flue
> Route new electricity feed to new boiler site, because it will go on a new circuit, which is ideal, right? My old one is on a spur from a socket, also an option.

Things I might be allowed to do:

> Remove old boiler and associated pipework
> Route new water feed to (near) new boiler site (~100cm away in same room)

Things I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to do:
> Re-route or cap old pipes around storage tank and boiler
> Remove header tanks and storage tank and any "dead" piping as I see fit, or just cap it and leave it dormant.

Am I close to the mark? There are some things I "could" do that I should probably let the installer do, like the new water routing, just so he gets it how he wants it. But other stuff like removing dead and disconnected tanks and even the boiler, surely I'm allowed to do that myself?

I want to keep the costs right down and make it a minimal job, which is sure to annoy the contractor...

thanks,

Sponsored Links
The only thing you're not allowed to do by law is anything to do with gas. Ie due to the Gas Act.

All the rest, for what you are proposing, is pretty straightforward.

I suggest you discuss your plans with a friendly gas registered tech and seek advice and assistance with the gas side of things. May charge a bit more for the gas piping/sign off bit but bound to be far cheaper than paying someone else for work that you can do yourself.

There will always be those on this forum who say it can't be done...

It can be done but be prepared that only the complete desperados will want to work with you. If you don't want to pay someone for the job, do the lot yourself.

It can be done but be prepared that only the complete desperados will want to work with you. If you don't want to pay someone for the job, do the lot yourself.

I want to pay someone for the job, but nothing else...

There's no limit to the amount of work I could invite someone to do, so the sensible thing to ask for is just what I need doing. Do you think most will refuse to do the work if it doesn't involve ripping out the old boiler and digging pipes out from under floorboards? I'd have imagined that's their least favourite part.

---

re: electrics, it looks like a 3A SFCU on a spur from the main ring is quite acceptable, so I can certainly provide the boiler area with that.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Do you think most will refuse to do the work if it doesn't involve ripping out the old boiler and digging pipes out from under floorboards? I'd have imagined that's their least favourite part.

Most will not refuse. Most, probably all established, reputable ones will refuse.

The least favourite work you describe is still chargeable, which is part of how they make money. There are many who will be pleased to share the job with you. I'm merely making you aware the reason they're grateful for the scraps from your table is usually because they're not good enough to get proper jobs.

Gas safe or heating engineer, whatever we call ourselves wouldn't touch you in a heartbeat.

The least favourite work you describe is still chargeable, which is part of how they make money.

Gas safe or heating engineer, whatever we call ourselves wouldn't touch you in a heartbeat.

Gas2Air, is that for the reason stated above (you want bigger jobs when possible) or some other reason?

What if I wanted to just relocate a boiler, or replace like for like? Minimal pipework and electrics, just like my job here. Would you do it or not be interested unless I found other work for you to do along with it?

You've misunderstood. Good tradesman tend to want to do all of the tasks which concern their trade, big or small. No-one can stop you DIYing the lot though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back