How Much Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My question is, how much paint will I need to paint 7 doors that are solid approx 2 x 0.8M (22.4m2 in total, not counting the sides) and are bare plywood covered? The Dulux web site gives a coverage of 16m2/lt for Dulux Multi-Surface Primer and Undercoat and 15m2 / litre. for Dulux Trade Wood Primer. I don't beleive for 1 minute I'm going to get that coverage, so realisticly, how much primer and top coat do I need and will I need more than the stated 1 coat of primer? Not fully decided on the top coat as yet!!!!

Sponsored Links
You only need one coat of primer on raw wood. This will raise the grain enough to be able to rub down on. 7 doors = 14 sides. Two and half litres of undercoat would be plenty to give one coat on the doors, and the same of top coat.

You only need one coat of primer on raw wood. This will raise the grain enough to be able to rub down on. 7 doors = 14 sides. Two and half litres of undercoat would be plenty to give one coat on the doors, and the same of top coat.

Thanks for that Robbie, wasn't sure if 2.5ltrs was going to be enough as others say give it two coats. At £30 a time for 2.5ltrs of Dulux Trade Wood Primer thats a bit of a relief. Would it be wise to thin it down a little with white sprit or put it on as it comes?
My top coat is going to be Dulux Trade Satinwood oil based which I got from B&Q. 5ltrs which is normaly £36ish for £26.28, more than enough for a couple of coats i would hope.

Rather than use a proprietary primer, use two and a half litres of thinned down undercoat, 3rd the cost, works exactly the same. 2 1/2 litres of satinwood will do one coat on the doors, but if you got a gallon then thats even better. ;)

Sponsored Links
That sounds good to me, would that be one or two coats with rub downs after each coat? :) :)

Don't like the idea of thinned undercoat. You can get cheap primer from Wilkos that is extremely good. 2.5 litres about 12 quid.

It's a trick used on new builds - it peels like crazy after a year or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back