How much should I be charged in labour to have a new gas valve replacement in my boiler? Just the l

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has packed in in my rental property. I am not a rich landlord yet and funds are tight, so instead of buying a new one I just want to get it fixed.

I was going to take out British Gas's cover but they said they couldn't do anything for me. And it's an old boiler and the parts are no longer made.

So I've found the part I need but do not want to be ripped of in labour costs so I want to ask: How much should I be charged in labour to have a new gas valve replacement in my boiler? Just the labor cost roughly

Sponsored Links
Remember that I'm only taking about the labor costs here.

And someone quoted me £45 to do it

Sponsored Links
In all seriousness
I would be reluctant to fit a part not supplied by myself. Especially a gas valve. Is it new sealed in the box?

If I were to do it I'd want quite a bit more than £45

You've not stated the make or model of the boiler, so it's impossible to give any sensible idea of labour cost as we don't know how easy or difficult the job will be. Some gas valves are easy, some are a real pain and take ages. You've also not said where you are in the country - charges oop North will differ considerably from central London.

I'd also be wary of a gas valve found on eBay or wherever unless it was in a manufacturer-branded sealed box. The person quoting you £45 must be very short of work, and the only people who are that short of work are the ones who aren't very good

As above, I wouldn't fit a second hand/refurb part for starters and would deffinately avoid fitting parts supplied by a customer.

Nice to see a landlord adding value to the property - let's see if we can find a cheap part on ebay and a cheapest labour to fit it - let's just hope it doesn't pack up in winter whilst you b*gger about finding the cheapest way of maintaining the property.

Victor Meldrew signing off now

you've been quoted £45 and are asking if your being ripped off...you need to be realistic about the cost of things, what was you expecting a tenner or for someone to do it for free on the false promise of more work in the future if they do you this little favour.

As most boilers only get a serious fault every three years the poor guy has to live for £15 a year at that price.

But my question is who diagnosed that gas valve is at fault?

I charge £84 to diagnose a fault although that usually includes any labour to fit a new part.

We knew that landlords are tight but this case seems to exceed expectations!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back