Do I really need a new boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted £475 (parts & labour) for external expansion vessel, PRV and Gas Valve on a WB Greenstar junior which is just over 10 years old by 2 local gas fitters.

I rang for parts and it came to,
£100 vessel
£15 PRV
£150 Gas Valve
So £200 labour.

However some others I rang said it would be better if I just replaced the boiler costing me £1700 ?

I can manage paying £475 but £1700 ???

Sponsored Links
If that's all that's wrong with the boiler and the rest is in good condition then no reason not to repair. The major part there is the gas valve, the rest isn't uncommon for a 10Yr old boiler.

Of course, doesn't meant that other 10yr old parts cant fail

Reactions: CBW
So £200 labour.
It‘s not just £200 labour though really. Cost of fuel, training, et al. Cost of fixed price repair from Worcester possibly cheaper option for you if you don’t want to pay £475.

Sponsored Links
It‘s not just £200 labour though really. Cost of fuel, training, et al. Cost of fixed price repair from Worcester possibly cheaper option for you if you don’t want to pay £475.

I don't have a problem with paying £475.

Am just questioning why some of the fitters have just told me to buy a new boiler.

If that's all that's wrong with the boiler and the rest is in good condition then no reason not to repair. The major part there is the gas valve, the rest isn't uncommon for a 10Yr old boiler.

Of course, doesn't meant that other 10yr old parts cant fail

When you say the gas valve is the most major part of it, are you referring to its £150 cost or the amount of work it would take to replace it ?

Am just questioning why some of the fitters have just told me to buy a new boiler.
Some people can’t/won’t repair boilers, some will argue that other parts may fail, others could just be doing it because they get a decent return. If it’s the parts failing, some people are of the opinion that because the engineer has fixed one problem, they are responsible for new faults or parts failing.

I'd say repair but a lot of people wouldn't want to bother as expansion vessel replacement on that model usually involves having to remove the boiler from the wall. Given the amount of work involved, £475 isn't a bad price but WB may do it all on a fixed price repair for less. They, of course, don't pay the same price for parts as they charge us.
persuade you to change to a combi.
OP already has a combi

I'd say repair but a lot of people wouldn't want to bother as expansion vessel replacement on that model usually involves having to remove the boiler from the wall. Given the amount of work involved, £475 isn't a bad price but WB may do it all on a fixed price repair for less. They, of course, don't pay the same price for parts as they charge us.

OP already has a combi
Didn't think to give WB a call. Always though main dealers would be the most expensive.
Do I contact WB directly or an independent fitter who is a authorised WB fitter ?

WB direct but they may not do the EV you will have to ask them, will be cheaper to get a WB fixed price repair and they will change everything required and you will get a warranty with it

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Didn't think to give WB a call. Always though main dealers would be the most expensive.
Do I contact WB directly or an independent fitter who is a authorised WB fitter ?
WB directly - approved fitters are just that, approved fitters (installers).

Dead money repairing a 10 year old boiler.

While on a course in Worcester I was told WB make their boilers to last 10 years.

New boiler with 10 year warranty I think is the way to go

My daughter moved into a house with a Glowworm Ultimate boiler that was put in when the house was built, I repaired it a number of times for her, 2 PCB’s, air pressure switch, electrode plus other external components, pump, mid position valve, controls etc over a period of about 3 years.

Each time I said “next time, I’ll replace the boiler”, so i purchased a vaillant system boiler, waited for a mild spell and swapped it, should have done it years ago, frightening when you add up what i spent on it keeping it going and the disruption and down time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back