how much should i pay for rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI I just wanted some advice . recently renovated a 2 bed terraced the only thing left was the rendering on the front it was a bit flaky in places its tyrolened (paint coming off I think) it was also down to brick in a few areas as we have to square up windows, had 3 quotes all around the same price 1150 its 14ft by 18ft this was to apply a high build finish,I was told it would take 2 blokes 2-3 days max, i turned up from work on the 1st day @ 3pm to find job was done an 1 bloke did it on his own he said he would apply high build next week but didnt know where to buy it as he never done it before (bit worried now) since waitin for him to located high build a few cracks have appeared an i noticed he rendered in sky cable i have been told by amate its not been done right so told him i pay for wot he done but wants £900 for the 1st day is this right what can i do never had any probs before

Sponsored Links
£900 for a days work! I WISH!

take a look at this: http://www.source4me.co.uk/calculate_render_stucco.htm

you'll find materials for that size of job wouldn't cost much at all, don't see how he can expect to charge much more than say £250 for the days work including materials.

Not sure what a 'high build finish' is so not sure how much of the original quote is for that but even so, if he wants £900 for what he's done that only leaves £250 for the so called finish including labour, doesn't add up to me and sounds like he's trying it on and suspect you wouldn't see him again after paying up, he should fix the cracks before he sees any money though

yeah thats what i thought i asked him how much of the £900 was materials an he said £200 including the finish I said I would buy the finish off him coz felt like being took 4 a ride so that leaves £700 for labour 4 one day also when i said I will pay by cheque said cant have cheque as he has done it 4 a low price so wants cash which means i wont have any come back am i in my rights to just pay him a reasonable amount for the work he's done.

Tap around the cracks to find out if they sounds hollow. Describe what he's done to the wall so far how it looks at the moment,,, or even take a picture and show us.
Anyone who takes on a job, and doesn't know where to buy a certain product/material to finish off that job, with the excuse,, "i've never done it before, so i don't know where to buy it yet", :eek: sound a bit dodgy to say the least. Do you know anyone else who's employed him in the past. Don't part with any money until you're satisfied with the job,, and you've had it verified by someone who knows about that type of work. With most of the work that i do, i very rarely get paid there and then. I send an invoice to the customer, and then wait for payment, even if it's a quoted amount,,,,, so when your jobs finished, ask him to send you an invoice. That will give you time to look the job over, and then you'll know what you're paying for.

Edit. I've just spotted your new post above. Trading Standards will give you all the advice you need.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies spoke to him again he won't give me an invoice just wants the money told him not paying him £700 for 1 day he said it was 2 days the other day he had to source the stuff 4 the job and hire a tower what a joke I have tapped the cracks they dont seem hollow I have offered him £500 which he has accepted and put it down to experience.

oh forgot to mention the front was tyrolene which was painted he has beaded the house and flattened it with one coat of render he said it didn't need 2 then was gonna put high build on top

Dear me!

Well glad you have got it sorted kind of, but sounds like he was REALLY trying it on, and only 1 coat too!? and as for a day sourcing!! CRAZY! and towers don't cost that much for a day either, think you're well rid!

so you just need to get the cracks fixed now then? at least the render seems sound other than that, is the finish ok or do you need to get someone in to add to it?

the finish its self looks good but needs the top coat of high build put on I have a mate that can do it fraction of that price as well should of used him in the first place but he was very busy that'll teach me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back