Best render mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Iv got some rendering work come up, and iv not done any since my 5day course almost a year ago... its only a small job - a wall about 2meters high by 5 meters long... please could you remind me of the following:

1 - the stages of rendering eg..wetting wall, do i then apply 1st coat, level then scratch...how long should i leave the 1st coat before applying the second....
2 - what mix do you recommend..sand/cement/addatives
3 - just out of interest, how much would you charge for this job?

Cheers

All the best

Clark

Sponsored Links
As I told you in your last post.... ;)

Hi everyone,

Iv got some rendering work come up, and iv not done any since my 5day course almost a year ago... its only a small job - a wall about 2meters high by 5 meters long:

1 - the stages of rendering eg..wetting wall, do i then apply 1st coat, level then scratch...how long should i leave the 1st coat before applying the second....
2 - what mix do you recommend..sand/cement/addatives
3 - just out of interest, how much would you charge for this job?

Come on Clarky,, you've no chance of making a decent job of rendering this "small job",, 10 sq metres. You don't know the first thing about it,,,,,
the application of each coat,, what additives to use,, the mix,, :rolleyes: and then you want to know, "just out of interest" what would a "qualified tradesman" would charge for doing such a job. :rolleyes: Would you charge the same???? I know everyone has to learn,, but it's been almost a year since you did rendering on a 5 day course, and now you've forgotten how it's done. I, along with others on here , would normally answer any question i could to help someone out, but not this time. Sorry about that,,, but i'm out.

Roughcaster.

A little bit harsh but fair roughcaster...

I was only asking out of interest, I only charge 70quid a day for plastering as im still fairly new to it, but i think thats a pretty good price concidering they get a good finish each time, but as for this job it is for a relative and im not charging. He is letting me use his wall as practice... Maybe you could just tell me if m right: from what i remember its something like this:
1. coat wall with 50/50 solution pva and apply first coat then rule from bottom to top and side to side and fill any low spots and rule off again with straight edge..
2. scratch first coat with devil float
3. leave to set
4. apply second coat
5. leave to set for a bit then using sponge float use circle motion to rub to a smooth flat finish

Am i right??? tell me im a legend if i am...lol im probably wrong

Is the 1st coat 4-1 sharp sand - cement...then second coat 5-1

Cheers gents

Clark

Sponsored Links
Looking back Clarky, i was a bit hasty ;)

You're spot on with the mix for each coat, although some might use lime in it too. You'll need a combined plasticiser/waterproofer in the mix too (both coats).

If it's outside, and the wall has a good enough key, forget the PVA, just give it a good wet down, and then put on your scratch coat,, it's up to yourself whether you rule off and fill low spots in the scratch coat, but normally, if it's put on well, you shouldn't need too. When the scratch coat is on, just use the scratcher to put a key on it, rather than the devil float. Scratch it horizontaly, in a wavy motion then as you said, leave it 2 or 3 days to set/cure. When you're ready for the top coat of render, give the scratched wall a "very light" dampen down, then put on the render,,, run the straight edge over this coat just to provide a flat surface,, leave it to steady up, then as you said, rub the float/sponge over it. You would normally put cement screeds onto the wall to work from, but that's for another day. This time of year is getting a bit unpredictable weather wise for rendering, but if it's inside, no problem and it'll be good practice for ya. ;)

Roughcaster.

Cheers roughcaster,

Thats a big help. Il be sure to let you know how it goes..oh and if you ever want an apprentice who you can teach your skills to... ;) im your man...lol

regards

Clark

Cheers roughcaster,

Thats a big help. Il be sure to let you know how it goes..oh and if you ever want an apprentice who you can teach your skills to... ;) im your man...lol

regards

Clark

Good luck to ya Clarky,,, anything else, give us all a shout on here. Everybody's got to learn,,, and asking questions, with hands on practice too, is the best way to learn. ;)

Roughcaster.

funny thread chaps!

that was unlike you RC, thought someone had stolen your identity and was doing a bad impersonation of you! was about to blow the whistle when you all of a sudden came over all helpful ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back