Amout of render needed..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l need to render some of my house wall and need to know how much l will need in bags of cement and sand.
What l also would like to know is what cement and sand is best to use and do l need to add anything to the mix .
Do l need to put a scratch coat on or will one coat be ok.

The area l need to cover is 4m x 2metres .
For the area would you hire a mixer or mix manually.
One more question, what beading will l need for corners and windows before applying the render. Thanks

Sponsored Links
l need to render some of my house wall and need to know how much l will need in bags of cement and sand.
What l also would like to know is what cement and sand is best to use and do l need to add anything to the mix .
Do l need to put a scratch coat on or will one coat be ok.

The area l need to cover is 4m x 2metres .
For the area would you hire a mixer or mix manually.
One more question, what beading will l need for corners and windows before applying the render. Thanks

That's a fair bit of info needed - how confident are you of having a go?

Quite confident at most things and will have a go as moneys tight this day and age...
Done basic plastering before and would just like some help and advice on rendering which l have not had a go at before...

Quite confident at most things and will have a go as moneys tight this day and age...
Done basic plastering before and would just like some help and advice on rendering which l have not had a go at before...

Okay -

There is a lot of info here if you search for it but-

2 coats

Fine sharp sand , 3mm down washed salt free
OPC

Waterproofer

Lime

First coat Sand: OPC 4:1 with water proofer (see instrucions on container)

Second coat Sand: OPC:Lime 5:1:1

For 8 m2 @15mm you would need about 300kg of sand (correct me if maths is out, anyone)

You could mix this amount by hand if no mixer available, and probably better to do so in tems of setting up and washing out as well as guaging ho wmuch you need.

Use either stainless steel opr plasitc beading, but make sure you bed them into render rather than just nailing them on.

Scratch on day one and finish coat of render on or after day 2

Sponsored Links
I don't think you're far off with that amount Micilin. If it was me though Ray, i'd get the sand from a builders merchant if poss, (better quality) but that's just my preference. At least with your job, you'll soon know from the amount of sand/cement you use for the scratch coat, as to how much you'll need overall, so even if you got half of the suggested amount now,(150 kg) then just collect the other few bags as required. Hope you understand what i'm saying. I'd get 2 or 3 bags of cement too and see how that goes. You can always get more if required, and ask if you can return any unopened bags you don't use.

Reading alot of different methods on the forum and internet about waterproofer and plasticiser on scratch and top coat.
Some say waterproofer in both, some say waterproofer in scratch only, some say just add plasticiser like "free flo" in both :confused:
Some say plasticiser in top coat only.. l'm confused..

What is the right way as l want to get on with the rendering and want to do it the right way...

Reading alot of different methods on the forum and internet about waterproofer and plasticiser on scratch and top coat.
Some say waterproofer in both, some say waterproofer in scratch only, some say just add plasticiser like "free flo" in both :confused:
Some say plasticiser in top coat only.. l'm confused..

What is the right way as l want to get on with the rendering and want to do it the right way...

See above, Ray.

Okay -

There is a lot of info here if you search for it but-

2 coats

Fine sharp sand , 3mm down washed salt free
OPC

Waterproofer

Lime

First coat Sand: OPC 4:1 with water proofer (see instrucions on container)

Second coat Sand: OPC:Lime 5:1:1

For 8 m2 @15mm you would need about 300kg of sand (correct me if maths is out, anyone)

You could mix this amount by hand if no mixer available, and probably better to do so in tems of setting up and washing out as well as guaging ho wmuch you need.

Use either stainless steel opr plasitc beading, but make sure you bed them into render rather than just nailing them on.

Scratch on day one and finish coat of render on or after day 2

The "above" post from Micilin, which i agree with 100%, is the correct way to go Ray. You have the mix ratios and the materials needed for the job,,, any other questions, just ask. ;)

l've done a slurry mix and applyed to the wall as they are so dry, even when l apply the mix the wall just soaks it in..
Anyway l started putting the scratch coat on and as soon as the render leaves the float onto the wall it just drops off..
Should l make a mix more sloppy or add something to the mix or really soak wet the walls ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back