What's the answer to this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When l mix up concrete l always do and have done for years gauge it by the bucket .For example 4 2 1 (gravel or chippings, sand and cement) .And l know others who use a 5 3 1 mix .Well for the first time ever today l was told by the guy who l work for to use up a half a bulk bag of sand and gravel to mix up concrete for some gate posts we were putting in.So l phoned up the suppliers to find out what gauges of sand and gravel they put in their 25kg. bags and their bulk bags so l could work out the correct amount of cement to add to the mix. And the guy said, 'thats an interesting question, noone has ever asked that before ' and he didn't know!!!! He said he would get back to me.But no reply yet..Needless to say we used our common sense and mixed it up with a fair amount of cement in our mixes. So do any of you lads know what the ratios are of sand and gravel in mixed bags..Needless to say l wont be using it again!!!!

Sponsored Links
I think you are probably over-thinking it, for some gate posts anyway.....

But its interesting that the supplier didnt know!

Not over thinking it as all my gauges no matter what I am mixing are all measured out correctly. I cant see how you can mix a consistant mix if you don't know the ratios of all the componants ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm the same, I prefer to measure each batch whether it's render or concrete. I have a bucket that i use just for volume measuring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back