1st time at rendering

Sponsored Links
I agree with Steve you can stipple render and I aiso have and can do it. I have matched painted rough cast in with a hand full of little twigs off a bush held together and "dabbed" or stippled them into the muck thrown on to a patch I have had to match in... Its called thinking out of the box to adapt to a situation.... ;)

I agree with Steve you can stipple render and I aiso have and can do it. I have matched painted rough cast in with a hand full of little twigs off a bush held together and "dabbed" or stippled them into the muck thrown on to a patch I have had to match in... Its called thinking out of the box to adapt to a situation.... ;)
another thing you could call it roy is mimicking, what you was doing there is mimicking existing render thats what my teacher used to call it

another thing you could call it roy is mimicking, what you was doing there is mimicking existing render thats what my teacher used to call it
You are quite right Steve. I was also shown by an old Irish plasterer how to "patern" render with a sponge that had bits of it pulled out to make indentations in the fresh render coat by "dabbing" it on and off. He also showed me how to make false beams inside an house with strips of polystyrene and bonding plaster and a small branch off a tree . Then paint it black or dark brown and you would think it was a wooden beam. Also can be done over doors and windows outside (which I did on my first house that I renovated) with sand and cement and a branch off a tree to give the bark effect on the "beam".I will try and get a photo of it and put it up on my albums if I am passing that way.. ;)

Sponsored Links
".I will try and get a photo of it and put it up on my albums if I am passing that way.. ;)
ok roy pm me if you do so how did you do the beam ? stick it to ceiling cover it in bonding and drag a twig along it to get the bark effect?, is that all there is to it?

You actually "shape " the bonding to roughly look like a tree trunk and use a bit of branch to drag along it for bark effect, and to make the "knots" in the bark get a "firmed up bit of bonding and roll it around in your hands into a few smallish lumps and throw them into the bonding on the "beam" this will give the effect of having knots in your beam. It has been a long time since I did anything like this but I think this is the general principle of how its done .Have a go Steve and just see how artistic you are .. ;)

:rolleyes:

not cement mate, it's weber rend, different conststancy, polymer tends to do that :LOL: :LOL:

"i was taught how to do vermiculation ashlar and how to achieve a constant stipple finish with a brush, its easy my 6 year old could do it"

what a laugh :LOL:
any one whos been rendering for over 35 years will know anything can be created by anyone with any sand and cement , lime or what ever you want to use create existing surfaces , stripple finish was a popular choice on flats built in the 1970.just look at councle eastates ... more in the north of england... also a popular choice for cowboy builders who cant render .. ask jo 90 as so many black blokes are good at stripple finish as it came from africa. well as mr pheaps, is not a renderer and a plasterer , well why say you cant do things untill you have tryed, i recon that the older generation of plasters know more then the new blokes on the block.its just now days they have so many moden materials there is no need to use render like the old days

Did you do them with an artex stippler ,or a float Steve? I have used finish before to make swirl patterns but I took a weeks coarse down in Yeovil years ago for artexing and had all the combs and stipplers. But the only pattern I found that people liked at that time was called "broken leather" which was quite easy to do and very effective in the likes of kitchens and bathrooms .I have still got all my notes and drawings that i took when I did the coarse and also the pattern books that they gave us..But alas we have moved on from artexing now but I reckon it will come popular again as trends always go round and come back again..Just my opinion... :LOL:

Did you do them with an artex stippler ,or a float Steve? I have used finish before to make swirl patterns but I took a weeks coarse down in Yeovil years ago for artexing and had all the combs and stipplers. But the only pattern I found that people liked at that time was called "broken leather" which was quite easy to do and very effective in the likes of kitchens and bathrooms .I have still got all my notes and drawings that i took when I did the coarse and also the pattern books that they gave us..But alas we have moved on from artexing now but I reckon it will come popular again as trends always go round and come back again..Just my opinion... :LOL:
i done them with a spongefloat i got bored waiting for it to go off it was only a walk in cupboard so i thought i would have a bit off fun it looked so nice i wanted to leave it on but if i did that i wouldent have got paid, i havent done any courses in artex like yourself, but would like to as ive missed out on some jobs where they want a plasterer that can artex, the best artex pattern ive seen was at an old spreads house i worked with , it was of a solar system and had shooting stars and planets and things it was a real peice of art, it has a name i think maybe you know?

:rolleyes:

not cement mate, it's weber rend, different conststancy, polymer tends to do that :LOL: :LOL:

"i was taught how to do vermiculation ashlar and how to achieve a constant stipple finish with a brush, its easy my 6 year old could do it"

what a laugh :LOL:
any one whos been rendering for over 35 years will know anything can be created by anyone with any sand and cement , lime or what ever you want to use create existing surfaces , stripple finish was a popular choice on flats built in the 1970.just look at councle eastates ... more in the north of england... also a popular choice for cowboy builders who cant render .. ask jo 90 as so many black blokes are good at stripple finish as it came from africa. well as mr pheaps, is not a renderer and a plasterer , well why say you cant do things untill you have tryed, i recon that the older generation of plasters know more then the new blokes on the block.its just now days they have so many moden materials there is no need to use render like the old days

It's all in the name and call it what you want it's not stippling :mrgreen:

I've read at least two different descriptions for the same method ;)

Right back to having my holiday :mrgreen:

Hurry back peaps! the forum is littered with dodgy advice for you to poo poo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hurry back peaps! the forum is littered with dodgy advice for you to poo poo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

had noticed not much has been given...

Thedistinguishedplasterer, I will be in Jamaica Monday, up for a spliff and some rum?
never stoped at jamaica.. i dont drink... as for smoking ..never done it. well as for spliff ,dont go near it.unfountaly im just a good plasterer , that never gets plastered in bars. to much drink and you can end up behind bars. well hope you had a nice time off ,there are some odd things comming up about strippled rendering,any idea where it was first done as you dont see it much now days,but was done a lot in the 1970s ,it actualy reduces the value of the buildings it was done on. as some of the refurburmeshments on flats are stripping it off and replacing it with k.rend now days .

had noticed not much has been given...

Thedistinguishedplasterer, I will be in Jamaica Monday, up for a spliff and some rum?
mr peaps.... what the hell has drugs and drink got to do with plastering and rendering? i expect a lot of others will want to know your fantastic advice on this ... it proves many things started by others end up way off the subject they wanted advice for... if you combind both its a dangerous thing to do. but still need to know why drugs have been brought up ,thinking about the advice iv have seen its enough to make you turn to drink.... can we have some common sence thanks . thats if you know what it is .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back