How Much To Insert 2 RSJ's in 2 Load Bearing Walls?

Thanks for the tip :)

I think I'll start a new topic with the DIY plan, see if people think I'm on the right track.

Sponsored Links
There are a few costs the OP did not factor into his 'fag packet' calculations, and which have to be loaded on to each job the builder undertakes viz;

1. the builders' costs in running his van/pickup (vehicles are not free)

2. insurance costs

3. advertising/admin costs;

4. accountant's costs for his tax returns;

5. the cost of the builder's time in pricing for the 9 out of 10 jobs he doesn't get; and so on.

aka O V E R H E A D S

We don't know how much the SE charged for the calculations, nor how much per hour the OP thinks the SE has charged, and whether or not he thinks THAT is reasonable.

We hear a lot about rogue traders - not so much about rogue
customers.

Can't see how not just taking the first builder to come arounds word for the price is being rouge ;)

The builder has to make profit. At the end of the day, there is a going rate for this kind of job as not everyone can do the work.

There is also an element of risk involved. He could turn up and find that the structure is not suitably prepared etc. Someone really needs to come and take a look at the job.

Sponsored Links
One fundamental thing is that there is no 'meat' in the job for the builder. It's a hassle job for not much profit, so you add some in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back