How much to install a water storage tank and F&E tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much would be a reasonable charge (not including materials) to install a water tank/cistern, a feed and expansion tank and plumb this all up. Basically I’ve been asked to install this. Its an old unoccupied house, which had all these taken out by the previous owners. So I still have the pipework to all the hot and cold water draw-offs. However I just need to install a new tank, and plumb this up to a new cistern in the loft, and install new pipework from the mains to the f&e tank, and from tank to water storage tank, and then connect it up to existing pipework.

I estimate it will take me a days work, approx 8am to about 6pm (as I done a similar exercise when at college).

Sponsored Links
any ideas anyone?! why are you plumbers so reluctant to give prices?! lol ;)

How long is a piece of string?
If you can't price it up, having seen it, how could I price it up when I haven't even been there?

Sponsored Links
well i'm only starting out in this trade after finishing college in plumbing so need to get ideas on what you guys can charge.

The thing is, theres a days wage, but i also feel the jobs can be priced on what they are. So for example i'd assume spending a day installing a bathroom suit would be a lot less then a day installing a brand new boiler in terms of what could be charged.

Is there not an average for installing the water tank and cistern? I mean, would you say its a job that would cost £500 to have done? or £200?

It is totally irrelevant what anybody else charges.
You need to apply the rate you have found in your business plan, times the amount of hours that is reasonable for the job.
Then you can look at the local competition and see how much mark up you think you can get away with, and how badly you want the job.
Find the balance between what YOU think you are worth as a newly qualified plumber, being greedy, and never work at a loss.
Working without a profit, just to get turnover, is as good a way to bankruptcy as pricing yourself completely out of the market.

what area are you in. i would say if you got between 150 and 200 in your pocket after tax then youve done alright and been fair.(depending on area of country)

8am to 6pm based on your college assessment, with all pipework in place already! Bit slow.

id work on a rate at about 130-150 per day for a trainee like yourself, and id double your time estimates. i dont reckon i could replace a bathroom suite in a day... its not a race. Just get the jobn done properly and dont cut corners as they lead to bad habits.

new cold water cistern is probly a mornings work with cold feed to it and cold down to cylinder and vent back up to it. Make sure you plan your pipe work route donwwards as if you go upwards you may encounter joists etc. planning is everyting and it all takes time not to mention your hot pipework.

Dont sell yourself short and dont rush. i estimate around £400 plus materials if i were you.

hope this info helps

I'm not a plumber...however i am a competent DIYer and have done the same job you're planning myself via a book and taking my time, i also work with businesses...

Based on learning through my own experience i have a lot of respect for the professionals in the trade (and grateful for this forum), however in regards to pricing for a job and with you being newly qualified i'd say you need to view your first jobs as an investment in gaining experience and promoting yourself through referrals based on the quality of your work.

Take the opportunity to be open and honest with new clients...ensure they understand the actual costs of materials and then agree a fixed rate (based on an assumed hourly rate on how long you think the job will take) and refer to a business plan that should include a salary and desired profit margins (remembering that you have already invested money in your training - a business cost that needs to be recovered before actual profit can be made)

There is nothing wrong with admitting that you're newly qualified and always ask for referals based on the quality of your work.

Its rare that a new business makes a profit in the 1st year, therefore use the first year to gain experience create a client base and a referral network through the quality of your work, then in the second year margins can be increased based on demand...the rewards will come

Under promise and over deliver...nothing wrong with short selling while you grow, provided you're covering your costs and have a good business plan and stick to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back