How much to Recommissioning a heating system?

gas engineers have been in court for negligence that killed people, forgetting to solder an elbow in a gas pipe which popped apart months later, flues fitted incorrectly and leaking CO etc, you only have to miss something small but significant to get a charge of negligence doing gas work as the standard required is high.

OP, Price = risk * time, so consider that the engineer could just be hugely busy with low risk work, so no need to take something that could turn into a can of worms. As far as they know, a boiler could have been capped off and decommissioned due to a danger.

I appreciate the implications of the responsibilities involved, I’ve worked on projects that could kill or injure dozens if they go tits up.

Did you actually read my post? They same plumber that drained the system is the one that’s quoted for re starting it, why would he think it was decommissioned because it’s dangerous???

Sponsored Links
That's a fair comment given the OP specifically said he wants it recommissioned.

Did he mean that in the literal sense, though, or did he mean he just wanted it up and running again and checked over? If the latter, I'd go with Motman's suggestion:

And then have it serviced, as it would be overdue it's annual one now.
Thanks for the replies

As Mot man said, fill her up and press the start button. It's not going to blow up.
Then just get a normal service and u could mention that it's been off for a while.

I appreciate the implications of the responsibilities involved, I’ve worked on projects that could kill or injure dozens if they go tits up.

Did you actually read my post? They same plumber that drained the system is the one that’s quoted for re starting it, why would he think it was decommissioned because it’s dangerous???
Relax! I did read your post and i was talking in more general terms. Sorry if it came across in the wrong way.
It's still the case that he may have plenty of preferable work to do, or he may know that his only competition is people who didn't know why it was decommissioned. He may have even mixed your job up with another for all i know or forgotten the details. I'm not giving you the actual reason as only the plumber can do that, I'm just giving you things to consider. No skin off my nose either way.

Sponsored Links
My wife arranged a plumber to come in and drain the system and move a couple of radiators, that was paid for at the time.
Silly question here but if the plumber drained the system and added a couple of radiators, didn’t he fill it up afterwards and check it was working? If so, how comes it’s now empty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back