How much to Recommissioning a heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I got married about 3 years go and her old house stood unused for a while, about 18 months ago we decided to crack on and actually do something with it so embarked on a full refurb. My wife arranged a plumber to come in and drain the system and move a couple of radiators, that was paid for at the time.

Now we hadn’t planned on taking so long but hay ho that’s life. I’ve now taken over most of the arrangements as I’ve got the time available now. The original plumber has been back round to remind himself what needs doing and I’ve asked for a couple of other daft little jobs to be done at the same time. These are things I could do but as a tradesman myself I’d prefer to let a fellow tradesman do his own thing.

He’s come back with a quote of £400, I’m struggling to understand why so much. Obviously I don’t know all that is involved in recommissioning the heating system with a combi boiler so if someone can educate me that would be great.

If it makes any difference it’s a small two bed house in the north east with 6 radiators and a towel rail.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
He must be giving you mates rates then, as not many would do it for that , I certainly wouldnt

To do it properly you have to look at it as brand new installation and inspect everything to make sure it all conforms to current regulations, it is not just a quick turn on and have a look

Sponsored Links
Is he powerflushing? If so, that is very time consuming and may explain the price.

Otherwise, it's a case of refilling the system with water, adding inhibitor, bleed the air out, and switching it all on. If there's any problems, that's when you may need to call someone in. You'd also want to get the boiler serviced if it's not been done in a while.

Is he powerflushing? If so, that is very time consuming and may explain the price.

Otherwise, it's a case of refilling the system with water, adding inhibitor, bleed the air out, and switching it all on. If there's any problems, that's when you may need to call someone in. You'd also want to get the boiler serviced if it's not been done in a while.
And what about the flue ? does that need inspected ? what about the gas run ? does that need to be visable ? does the commissioning engineer need to measure the inlet working pressure to the boiler? does the boiler need an inlet pressure test point before the gas valve ? and that is just the start, you know nowt lad powerflushing and inhibitor would not even come into the equation. if you are happy to do that and are actually qualified to do so then fill your boots , so many unqualified opinions telling the public that I join pipes every day so I know what I am doing

The system was working and has remained unchanged. Its simply been drained, unused for 18 months and a couple rads added.

Not sure why it needs everything you've quoted. But either way, a service (which I suggested in my original post) would cover those things.

Unless you're charging £400 mates rates for a service, not sure what it is you're suggesting this system needs to get it up and running.

If it’s only been drained and had some rads added, why not just try filling it up and switching it on first?

Unseize the pump, re-charge the expansion vessel, fill the trap, new combustion seals etc for a start..

The system was working and has remained unchanged. Its simply been drained, unused for 18 months and a couple rads added.

Not sure why it needs everything you've quoted. But either way, a service (which I suggested in my original post) would cover those things.

Unless you're charging £400 mates rates for a service, not sure what it is you're suggesting this system needs to get it up and running.
Because whoever re-commissions the boiler is now responsible for the complete installation, including any faults in the original install, no worth the grief to most hence the high price, it is not just a service

Because whoever re-commissions the boiler is now responsible for the complete installation, including any faults in the original install, no worth the grief to most hence the high price, it is not just a service

That's a fair comment given the OP specifically said he wants it recommissioned.

Did he mean that in the literal sense, though, or did he mean he just wanted it up and running again and checked over? If the latter, I'd go with Motman's suggestion:

If it’s only been drained and had some rads added, why not just try filling it up and switching it on first?

And then have it serviced, as it would be overdue it's annual one now.

My wife and I got married about 3 years go and her old house stood unused for a while, about 18 months ago we decided to crack on and actually do something with it so embarked on a full refurb. My wife arranged a plumber to come in and drain the system and move a couple of radiators, that was paid for at the time.

Now we hadn’t planned on taking so long but hay ho that’s life. I’ve now taken over most of the arrangements as I’ve got the time available now. The original plumber has been back round to remind himself what needs doing and I’ve asked for a couple of other daft little jobs to be done at the same time. These are things I could do but as a tradesman myself I’d prefer to let a fellow tradesman do his own thing.

He’s come back with a quote of £400, I’m struggling to understand why so much. Obviously I don’t know all that is involved in recommissioning the heating system with a combi boiler so if someone can educate me that would be great.

If it makes any difference it’s a small two bed house in the north east with 6 radiators and a towel rail.
As you can see Mr OP......tiz a can of worms...Last engr to touch a gas appliance is responsible..Could argue that even for a service ,,dig out every last inch of gas pipe to inspect it..Dig out the flue from its surroundings,,,inspect it...Ends up a bit silly and argumentative...

gas engineers have been in court for negligence that killed people, forgetting to solder an elbow in a gas pipe which popped apart months later, flues fitted incorrectly and leaking CO etc, you only have to miss something small but significant to get a charge of negligence doing gas work as the standard required is high.

OP, Price = risk * time, so consider that the engineer could just be hugely busy with low risk work, so no need to take something that could turn into a can of worms. As far as they know, a boiler could have been capped off and decommissioned due to a danger.

To do it properly you have to look at it as brand new installation and inspect everything to make sure it all conforms to current regulations, it is not just a quick turn on and have a look

Thanks for that very comprehensive and detailed explanation I can now fully understand what could be involved and why it costs more than I expected.

Last edited:
As you can see Mr OP......tiz a can of worms...Last engr to touch a gas appliance is responsible..Could argue that even for a service ,,dig out every last inch of gas pipe to inspect it..Dig out the flue from its surroundings,,,inspect it...Ends up a bit silly and argumentative...

Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back