How much to spend on new kitchen & batroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a rough guide as to how much to spend on refitting kitchen & bathroom.
Not after a figure in pounds but a percentage on house value. The flat I'm looking at is pure 70's

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
you probably realize that the kitchen and bathroom, for their size are the most expensive rooms in the property to furnish.

if you are going for a total re-fit i.e. floor tiles, wall tiles, sanitary ware, kitchen carcasses, lighting etc, then expect to pay £4000 upwards for bathroom and £7000 upwards for kitchen.

whats a kitchen bathroom? :eek: I'm trying to picture it. WC, oven, worktop, bidet . . . . :rolleyes:

hi,

recently did my bathroom and as a percentage of the house purchase it cost 0.37%. Mind you i got all the materials myself, stripped out the old and replaced tiling, flooring, decorated and did the plumbing myself, saved over £3000 in labour charges.

looking to do the same with the kitchen next year although material costs will be much more!

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
whats a kitchen bathroom? :eek: I'm trying to picture it. WC, oven, worktop, bidet . . . . :rolleyes:

:LOL: crafty,
..........thats just what I was thinking :LOL: is it a bathroom in a kitchen ? well its not so ridiculas as it sounds, when we first moved into this house 20yrs ago, there was a loo in the kitchen, its didnt flush very well at high tide so we moved it upstairs to give it abit of a head, and in those days we took in guests :LOL: and we was tourist board inspected, how times have changed.

ocemeer said:
Looking for a rough guide as to how much to spend on refitting kitchen bathroom.
Not after a figure in pounds but a percentage on house value. The flat I'm looking at is pure 70's

I dont think you can relate it to value of the house.
To redo a bathroom to a 3 bed house in london, will cost the same as redoing a bathroom in a 3 bed house in (where ever houses are cheap), so how wil that reflect on what should or shouldnt be spent. Maybe its just me.

I spent £35k doing up my house last year, there is no way the added cost can be recouped. If you take the cost of the house + what I spent, its way over what the market could take.
BUT I get the pleasure of living in it.

Post Subject: How much to spend on new kitchen & batroom

You do know that bats are a protected species, don't you?
Or would this be to store your batmobile,?

It all depends on what you want in your bathroom/Kitchen. For example i fit bathrooms and kitchens and you may go to one job and the guy has got a full bathroom suite including taps for £399 from B&Q

You go to next job and the guy has got a bio jet bath, waterfall taps, water blade shower head, thermostatic diverter valves that need embeding in the walls, remote control showers and so on.

My own bathroom cost me around 5.0k materials only, but i have to say we have gone tottaly OTT with all the latest modern taps, designer rad, suspended laminate ceilling and waterfall bath fillers. it all depends on what needs doing once you rip out the old suite and unless you are planning to do a fair chunk of the work yourself the final costs would depend on labour you hire in.

I have done simular to DIY IS FUN, in addition built an extension on the side of the house. I did all the work myself at weekends and i do mean ALL.

I did it in any spare time i had. It took 12 months but we have totally gutted the house and done a complete re fit including new central heating, kitchen, bathroom, completely re plastered every downstairs wall (no bwoody drylining in my house) Removed dividing walls, bricked up doorways, extension, Conservatory the list is endless.

I know i wont re-coup the money i have thrown in unless the price of houses goes up massivly. But we are here for life now and have no plans in moving, so it doesnt matter to me. I'm happy :)

we did our bathroom for 2k. thats use doing everything and his dad (sort of plumber) putting our new bath and bar shower and that in. this was knocking a wall down between toilet and bath as well.

as for the kitchen ours isnt 100% finished but i would say cost 4k. again we did it all ourselves with the help of his handy dad. got the units from bnq, shoped online for taps etc. got french doors put in in that budget also.

i like shopping around its AMAZING how differently priced things are. i bought taps (brand new) from e-bay. same ones in bnq for twice the price.

gl and hope it all goes smoothly for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back