How much to take my fire off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove the Gas fire in my lounge so I can ready the chimney/hole for a stove to be fitted.

I have spoke to a fitter who can do the job but says the whole job will be expensive.

So I want to do most of the hard work myself.

I know nothing about Gas, so will get someone in to take the fire off (would like to do it myself, but probably dangerous??)

The fire sits infront on the chimney and is attached to the supply via a metal pipe infront of the wall. There seems to be a valve in the pipe similar to what you may see in a water pipe, i.e. a large screwdriver could turn it to close it???

Anyway, is it possible to remove myself?
How much in Manchester would it cost to get someone in to do it?

The fire fitter will remove the pipe and supply properly, I just need someone to stop it so I can take fire off and work on the hole for stove.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Here's a photo to help explain my waffling.
//media.diynot.com/59000_58329_17401_20237949_thumb.jpg

You can just about see the gas pipe, with that small valve on the right under the stool

The idea is to stip off wallpaper, surround and plaster the hole, set a hearth etc. myself then call in a fire fitter.

How much have you been quoted for the stove installation? Im looking at doing the same thing but my gas work is already turned off to the fire. To shut the gas off its probably just a five minute job, my gas man would just charge his usual fee of around 60 quid.Why not get your boiler serviced and ask him to cut off the supply at the same time? Might work out cheaper for you, you get a serviced boiler and pipe cut off for just one call out.

your best bet would be to phone a sole trader and ask how much it will cost to isolate gas at the restrictor elbow and fit a 1/4 inch plug.. tightness before and afterwards and obviously make sure hes gas safe registered. id charge 30 quid to do the job.

Nath

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking I would charge approx £40 to call and remove the gas supply to your fire.

Where in Manchester are you?

Andy :)

The Old Trafford / Whalley Range area.

Cheers buys.
£40 sounds like a good price.

That way I can have a proper look at the chimney / hole before fully deciding what to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back