Gazco gas woodburning effect stove flue connection for my information

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the gas disconnected to this a while ago and then removed it myself and tidied where the liner came through the wall, putting a vent over it. I want to put the fire back. The flexible chimney liner going to the stove was sealed to an intermediate solid pipe (about 6") long which then inserted into back of the stove itself.

I am presently in the midst of getting this chimney rebuilt. A gas safe registered fitter I know is willing to re fit and connect the stove.

The liner seemed a little bit short at the stove end when I disconnected it but I have managed to pull it though into the room a bit more today to make it easier to reconnect. I was thinking of replacing the liner but TBH it looks pretty sound albeit very slightly dog eared at the fire end but it can be trimmed back a little to tidy it before fitting/sealing

I would like to seal the intermediate pipe on to the liner myself again so as the liner can be pulled back up in the chimney direction for re fitting at the chimney end (it would still be exposed just enough in the room to check it's sealed ok). What product gets used to seal this? Also, I assume the intermediate pipe gets sealed into the back of the stove too? Not planning on doing that myself, that part just a question, but I do think it would be useful if I could seal the intermediate pipe to the liner very soon.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What does your Gas Safe fitter say? Personally I'd be very wary of taking responsibility for a DIYers work, and as doing anything to the flue is classed as gas work, forum rules prohibit us giving you and advice on how to do it yourself

I received some advice on Friday from a supplier of associated parts who also sell stoves etc.

Related to your post I was given numbers for guys who obviously do fitting for them. I asked if they do the gas side as well as liners etc but was told not. So it appeared to be the case they would come and install, or in my case perhaps check existing liner etc but wouldn't connect the appliance.

Not quite sure then who does what etc as far as safely installed liners being seperate from the gas work and running of the appliance. Maybe the guys checking or installing the liner provides a certificate?

Anyone who has their Gas Safe HTR1 gas fires ticket can connect up the fire to the flue and gas supply, and carry out the appropriate tests.

The regs say that an existing liner shouldn't be re-used as part of a new installation, which technically yours is, so you might find that anyone who takes this on will want to do so on the proviso that they replace the liner

Sponsored Links
Anyone who has their Gas Safe HTR1 gas fires ticket can connect up the fire to the flue and gas supply, and carry out the appropriate tests.

The regs say that an existing liner shouldn't be re-used as part of a new installation, which technically yours is, so you might find that anyone who takes this on will want to do so on the proviso that they replace the liner
The regs don't say you CANNOT reuse a liner - but that you must be confident that the liner will outlastake the expected lifetime of the applanned. Generally amounts to the same thing but there are situations where the difference can be significant

I'll certainly be making an effort to make sure it's put back safely. It's a tricky one when having the stonemasons rebuilding the chimney- got access just now to refit stuff at chimney end (I have bought new clamp for liner and a new cowl to go with it.

At the room end, i'll see this week what I think best and may try to get one of the above fitters round. Probably not ready for the gas fitter though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back