How much weight can a partition wall take?

15kg leverage at two feet out.

No, that's not how it works.

Give me a lever long enough and I can move the moon. Not something 10000 times smaller than the moon!

Sponsored Links
The deeper the load placed on the wall, the greater the leverage on that wall. 30kg at one foot out, will exert a leverage of 60kg at two feet out from the wall.
Loads are vertical (due to gravity) at the top and bottom fixings. There is a pivot force but that is minor in comparison.

No, that's not how it works.

Give me a lever long enough and I can move the moon. Not something 10000 times smaller than the moon!

OK, really it depends where on the shelf or in the cupboard, the load is placed. The further out from the wall the shelf comes, the higher the sheer force, especially if the weight is located close to the front lip of the shelf.

Sponsored Links
Oh, no!
We now have to explain how a lever works!
A shelf of 600mm with a tumble drier on top of it will not stay there for long.
Unless 45 degree timber supports are built.
But at that point, why not go from the floor???
Loads are only perfectly vertical if applied vertically.
Sorry, physics is not an opinion (on this planet).

Re pull-out of fixings, if you're building the wall dont leave it hollow - fill the voids with ply or dense chipboard (old kitchen worktops are great) to provide something solid to screw into.

Oh, no!
We now have to explain how a lever works!
A shelf of 600mm with a tumble drier on top of it will not stay there for long.
A shelf on 610mm Spur brackets will take the load with ease.

Generally it's because the centre tower is not bolted to a big massive house. :p

Plus the weight is trying to pull it over, don't you think?

Any weight of to one side of the centre of gravity, will be trying to pull whatever it is fixed to, over. A stud wall is fixed at the top which will try to stop it being pulled over but the centre of gravity will be outside the base of the stud wall.

Not on this planet unfortunately.
It might take it there and then, but will inevitably fail and send the tumble drier tumbling down.
This usually happens at night...
So you believe that the makers are lying. An interesting accusation, do you have proof?

Spur brackets- mmm yes forgotten about them. Use a full length wall strip with them, top ideally fixed to the head of the wall as well as vertically fixed to a stud, that would work (think Toolstation do a budget version)

I think that would be fine. There would obviously have to be at least two brackets sharing the load.

They quote a 72Kg SWL for the next size down, and for the 610mm one "Load capacity limited by wall upright capacity."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back