How much weight can insulation take on top. Building on top.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a silly question when you first seen the title however ive asked this with other builder and have conflicting opinions. Some say its possible because of the weight of the blocks, others say, dont risk it.

Im looking to split a room in two and put a kitchen on the new wall in the closed off room. I have tiles running right through this room on top of 75mm of screed on top of 100mm kingspan insulation. I know the simplest method is to build a studded wall, plasterboard and skim however i now want a block wall. I have already phoned the makers of the lite blocks and they have said it is possible to hang kitchen cupboards on them with the correct fixings. What i want to know, will i be ok to build on top of the screeded floor which is on top of the insulation with these blocks without any issues of compression. The room is a large 9x4m room and will be split in two along the centre. My only option is to start cutting into the screed right down to the raft foundation and lay on them. This is a messy job plus it adds more work something id rather not do if not needed.

Sponsored Links
Masonry walls should be on their own foundations, not screed nor floor slab or raft slab.

Masonry walls should be on their own foundations, not screed nor floor slab or raft slab.

I do understand this however we will be using the thermal lite blocks which are very light. I wouldnt think they'd put much pressure on the raft.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt think they'd put much pressure on the raft.
Well it will. You need to get this either approved by your engineer or inspector.

You could construct a timber stud wall just as "strong" as you put it, and just as sound resistant as a thermalite block wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back