How much work in an extension to get passed by BC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon all,

Bit of a wide question so i'll try and be as specific as i can, please ask for more info (preferably what info!) if its not enough!

With the new rules on allowing 4m extensions with neighbors consent etc, what is the bare minimum work required to get a 4m extension built and passed? The reason for asking is basically because i do not think i would get the complete build done by the 30th of May 2015 deadline, but will be able to get three walls, a waterproof roof, flooring, insulation and windows/doors in before this date... if the application is purely for the shell as that manor, would it be signed off, or does the walls need to be finished, some form of lighting available etc?

The overall plan is to try for 4m across the back of the house, take out the existing patio door for the room at the back of the house, along with the back door in the kitchen. The extension will then house the new kitchen, part of the old kitchen becomes a utility area with boiler, and the other part a new bathroom.

Only problem is, money to do all of those wont allow it all to be done by the current deadline on the relaxation of planning etc... so what works must i complete to meet it and what can i then apply for afterwards? I will be looking to re-wire, insulate under the existing floors etc so i will need to notify bc and pay a fee again anyway, ideally try and clump the works as two parts - one part before the deadline, to get the shell passed, and then the rest of the work after the deadline...

Sponsored Links
If it's a semi or terrace house, you can go up to 6m with the prior notification procedure, assuming initially that the neighbours don't object.
Although it is only for three years, you would be OK as long as the build is substantially completed by then, which means walls up, windows in and roof on and sealed. Plaster and fit-out at your leisure.

If it's a semi or terrace house, you can go up to 6m with the prior notification procedure, assuming initially that the neighbours don't object.
Although it is only for three years, you would be OK as long as the build is substantially completed by then, which means walls up, windows in and roof on and sealed. Plaster and fit-out at your leisure.

Thanks for the reply Tony,
Its end of terrace, but don't really want to go the full 6m, cost of build from what i can tell will increase more then i want (joist/lintel work etc), and i loose more of my garden space then i would like.

But by the sounds of it, as long as i get it weather proof + joist work and floor down, that would be possible to get it signed off for the deadline?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back