How Much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a very rough ballpark figure to rewire a typical 1960's ex-council 3 bed semi. (Bridgend, if that makes much difference) to beat up an estate agent with over their asking price. What should I say? £5000?

A quick look revealed most of the surface mounted double sockets were spurred from the original flush mounted single sockets with 1.5 flex emerging from behind the sockets then tucked under the edges of the carpets :eek: - three doubles daisy chained like that way in one room - and then the boiler spurred off the last one. :eek: :eek:

There's an old brown 6 way wylex board with a 40A MCB for a shower stuffed in it. :rolleyes:

No sign of any MEBs of course.

At least that house looked in better order than another I viewed yesterday. That had only one 13A socket per room, but a selection of 5 and 15 Amp sockets to go with it, VIR cables clipped round the skirtings and architraves, round bakelite switches and porcelain ceiling roses, all on wooden pattresses. The meter was a new digital one, but the overhead supply had what looked suspiciously like an ELCB on the end of it.

Sponsored Links
The size of the house and what it already has has no bearing on the cost of the re-wire.

What you want PUT IN will determine the cost of the re-wire!!!!

Give details of how many switches, sockets, lights, cookers, showers immersions etc a you can get a very rough ball park figure!!

The size of the house and what it already has has no bearing on the cost of the re-wire.

What you want PUT IN will determine the cost of the re-wire!!!!

Give details of how many switches, sockets, lights, cookers, showers immersions etc a you can get a very rough ball park figure!!

You take all the old stuff out for free? :eek:

why not? the tat price is worth it.. ;)

you'll be chasing in new cables anyway, and chasing in new boxes where needed so there's not that much extra when ripping out..

depending on the area and the spec, anywhere between £3500 and £5000 sounds about right..

Sponsored Links
ColJack has given an accurate assumption there.

I am currently running three rewires, costing 4k, 4.2k & 5.5k

as one of the forum rules go.. "can't see it, can't quote it"...

there is a vast difference in price between a bog standard job and a "full works" job that has chrome light switches and fancy chandelier light fittings etc..
then there's the building construction.. stud walls and wooden floors are easier to deal with than concrete floors and engineering brick walls etc..
there's also the little things like wheter it's a live-in job or vacant, is it being re-plastered etc..
it all adds up.

That is roughly what I said!!!! No I price in for removal and weigh the scrap for beer money :D

Thank you Widdler and ColJack. I just wanted to check that my first guess would be justifiable as a deduction from any offer I make for a place that will need rewiring.

Thank you Widdler and ColJack. I just wanted to check that my first guess would be justifiable as a deduction from any offer I make for a place that will need rewiring.

Might have to add in the redec in part. if the place is a mess then the decor isn't priced in the sale, if it's a palace with carp wiring then obviously the decor HAS been added in to the value and will cost to get back post chasing and all the bashing that goes with a full rewire.

I suspect the place isn't that great since you mentioned very rough and old wiring, but to consider that if tiles (wall or floor), laminate, wood flooring systems, recent paper and paint wall finishes are wrecked to add in part value of those in to the discounting equation.

You should also be reasonable in the electric works price, standard 2 doubles in each bedroom, 4 in each reception and 6-8 in the kitchen. One light per room and each hall.
Anything over that is your preference and isn't really the sellers problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back