help please - fused spur from double socket, now socket not working??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

With bought an electric fire to wall mount in the living room

Today I installed a 13 amp fused spur from the nearest socket (not installed fire yet) and the red light comes on the spur when switched on but now have no power to the socket (all other sockets and electrics in the house are fine), tried looking on line for a solution and all mention ring main or radial circuits with two cables coming in and out of the double socket but mine has just one cable coming into it - I,m at lost as to what to do - any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Miggy23

Sponsored Links
One or more loose wires at the socket is likely.
If not, post pictures of the socket, wiring and whatever else has been added/changed.

Today I installed a 13 amp fused spur from the nearest socket

has just one cable coming into it

In that case it is probably not suitable for the connection of your new spur, as it is itself probably a spur.

Have a look in other nearby sockets and see how many cables they have.

As others have said likely a loose connection, when undertaking work like this, it is advised to test it using test equipment prior to putting into service.

You should also make yourself aware of the regulation concerning spurs off of socket circuits, as there are two types of circuits and ring final circuit spurs are regulated differently to that of a radial circuit. Then there are the permitted safe routing of cables and the possible requirement for RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Well - has anybody ever known one light when there's no power to the accessory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back