Isolation - Better safe than sorry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked by my sister to change some surface mounted boxes for recessed ones. not a large job. Two double sockets. i asked her to turn off the sky boxes before power down and I looked at the fuse board to see just one circuit breaker -30 amps for the entire house so I switched off. I went into the kitchen and noticed the fridge was no longer humming- safe you might say?

Well as a double precaution I always check for voltage and used a martindale in the socket instead of a voltmeter. I was shocked - so to speak to see three green lights illuminate as I switched the socket on. On further investigation i discovered that underneath the surface mounted box there was a single recessed metal box complete with two cables serving the double socket, this must have once served an upstairs immersion heater and must of once been a fused spur of some discription.

I'm so glad I was cautious enough to test the socket . Any of you fellas done something similar after "safely isolating"??

Sponsored Links
safely isolating is killing the MAIN switch and using a battery lamp...

and STILL checking before starting the work...

at a factory once I needed to find the breaker for some lights that were comming down and flipped the 6 amps one at a time to try to find it..

no luck.. lights never went off.. so I stepped up to the 10 amps.. again no luck .. ( and one very angry little office guy storming out and went straight for my young mate, demanding "who the hell is turning the breakers off..??? ".. should have seen the look on his face when I boomed from behind him.. "ME!!!!" , not the smallest of blokes am I.. )

turns out that the lights were interlinked at some point and being fed by 2 breakers...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back