How noisy are new shower pumps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, my weekend has been a write-off. I fitted the shower pump that my better half had been given by a work colleague, and due to the fact that it makes more noise than some diesel generators I've used in the past, I've stripped the soddin thing back out (much to the annoyance of my better half - but I'm not having something as noisy as that running :mad: )

Trouble is I'm now looking for a replacement pump new. But was wondering how quiet a pump should actually be?? Obviously I won't know for sure with any type until I get it home and plumb it in, but how quiet should they be? And does anyone have any reccomendations for cheap, quiet pumps?

*Should have fitted an electric shower when I had the chance*

Sponsored Links
They vary but most are about 65 dBm at 1 metre.

Tony

You could fit it in the loft which will dull the noise but it's not advisable due to possible freezing. I have however fitted mine in the loft space due to the noise and so far it's been fine and that was 2 years ago.

If you have the space you could fit it on a cut paving slab, with four 1/2 squash balls as feet to deaden the noise...

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that's dBm and not dBA... :rolleyes: !
Was the noisy one a Watermill?
You get what you pay for in pumps I think. Salamander are quiet up to 2 point something bar. Stuart Turner are not quite as quiet but well made.

ChrisR said:
Was the noisy one a Watermill?

It was made by Wickes - which with hindsight was probably a mistake from the off... But hey - no harm done and I've now got all the prep work done to plumb in a proper pump now... That'll teach me for acepting free gifts when money was tight

Couldn't believe how noisy the d*mn thing was - like a food blender on full bore... Come to think about it maybe it said kenwood not wickes :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back