how often should combi boiler fire up for CH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How often should my combi boiler fire up it’s an Ideal Mini C24?

The temp control on the boiler is set to maximum when the central heating on, I have no room thermostat fitted, would it be beneficial to get one fitted?

And it seems that the boiler is firing up every 3-4 minutes to heat/circulate the water and the burner stays on for approx 10 mins for central heating, the cycle continues throughout when the CH is on

Is this normal? Or is there a underlying problem?

Sponsored Links
The problem is that the boiler is cycling up and down only in response to its internal thermostat and not in response to your requirement for heat. This is costing you money.

You should fit some sort of programmable room thermostat.

Fit an RF one, there are loads to choose from.

The Salus RT500RF is OK but a bit ugly, the Honeywells are far better looking.

They are all pretty easy to install.

Sponsored Links
depending where the boiler is, a wired one may also be easy to fit and much cheaper.

You ought to place it in your main living room, or the room that takes the longest to heat up. it should be a room that does not have another source of heat in it (such as a gas fire) as that will trick the 'stat into turning off your rads.

You should check the balancing of you radiators afer you have fitted it.

An advantage of an wireless stat is that you can move it round the house to find the best place.

boiler is located in the kitchen, next room is the living room but the room also has a gas fire

the room that takes the longest to heat up is the upstairs front bedroom

what would you advise? i would like a cheap soloution and easy to install if possible

how about the hall?

Bedroom usage patterns are different from living rooms and you may want to turn down the rad during the day.

See if there is a convenient room on the other side of the wall from the boiler so you could drill a hole through it for a 'stat.

You could use the kitchen but it will warm up when you have the oven on.

the hall is only small that leads to the stairs,

i think it would be very convenient to fit it in the living room as the boiler is in the next room

what decent stat do you recommend? as currently boiler boiler fires up every 3 minutes and stays on for 10 minutes

How about one of these Nice people at Coronado too. I use one of these in an effort to make my back boiler look modern and trendy!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
lolz to be honest with you i think my boiler is quite old too, would not be to bothered if its an ugly looking thermostat

in terms of cost, is that what it is likely to cost? is it possible to get a cheaper one than that? ;)

the one you have mentioned looks really nice though bit expensive though

much cheaper

The word you're looking for John is more expensive :LOL: :LOL:

Ash, if you can't afford 30 quid for a stat that will pay for itself inside a year then maybe you shouldn't have a heating system at all ;)

if your boiler stat is set for max without a roomstat, you have more issues than just a missing roomstat.
The place should be too hot in about an hour, if that is not the case, there is something wrong.
Ideal is a brand favoured by cowboys, the missing stat is not a good sign and the fact that there is no mention of the place being a sauna isn’t either.
It might be an idea to get a proper RGI to in to see if there are any issues that could either cause premature death of the system or worse, its users

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back