How often should i need to re-pressurise a combo boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an Alpha CD35C installed 2 months ago.

The water pressure seems to drop by about 0.25 - 0.4 bar every 4 weeks meaning i'm topping up via the filling loop back to the recommended 1 bar.

Is this regularity normal?

Sponsored Links
errm....... nope

have a look at boiler manual as to what they suggest would be cause of frequent filling

basically a leak somewhere in the ch system

Get the installer back to check for leaks, maybe worth adding Fernox F4 to the system.

Sponsored Links
nudge nudge wink wink a nods as good as a wink to a blind donkey say no more!!!

Get the installer back to check for leaks, maybe worth adding Fernox F4 to the system.

best to check with manufacturer first,b4 banging in a bit of leak sealer!!!!

I'd go even further and recommend you do nothing before consulting installer and manufacturer.
Any action from a non-rgi leaves the risk of voiding the warrantee.

It sounds as though you have a small leak somewhere. You may be able to spot it if its a weeping radiator valve or something else thats fairly visible, but it may be under the floor somewhere. If you've just changed from an old "vented" system with a hot water cylinder then its not unheard of to get the odd leak as the new system works at a higher pressure.

We had all the radiator valves replaced with thermostatic valves. The boiler location was moved from the kitchen to the upstairs airing cupboard.

The only floorboards they seem to have had up are all upstairs.

There's no obvious signs of leaks from any of the radiators, nor any patches on ceilings

I have exactly the same problem.

new boiler installed and everything seemed ok, I then went to install a new bathroom including 3 new rads around the house and the pressue in the closed central heating circuit keeps dropping... it'll take about a week for the system to drop from 1 bar to 1/2 a bar pressure

So i revisited all my joints i'd done and couldn't find anything wrong with them, but when i was under the floor i did notice a small drip leak from another joint not connected to any work that i'd done, i've since fixed that.
and the pressure is still dropping but not at the same rate...

so i'm guessing there's other leaks somewhere else..

my question is.
is there a best practice way to find these leaks?

my thought is to use a few gate valves.. and cut of supply to certain areas of the house.. and see if the pressure still drops then at least i know where i'm looking?

is there an easier way?

i would be a bit wary of leak sealer i have had a couple of combis get completely buggered up after adding leak sealer, blocked up heat exchanger and diverter valve. Give the whole system another look examine every rad valve as even a small leak will be enough to lose pressure. Get installer back ask him to advise.

Its also worth checking the actual radiator valves themselves. I had a couple of radiators where the top gland was leaking slightly, but then evaporating off before it could dripp to the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back