How secure are these stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My brother-in-law and his wife have just moved into a house with a classic 80s open staircase. They hate it and I have been tasked with boxing it in and making it look like a conventional staircase on as small a budget as possible.

I have added plywood risers and was just going about making some stringers when my mind turned to considering the additional weight I was adding to the staircase.

Having pondered for a while I thought I best check and see what the existing staircase was secured to at the first floor level.

So I lifted in the floorboards and found what you can see in the photos. The existing stringer seems fairly securely bolted to a piece of 2x4. The piece of 2x4 runs between two joists. However, it does not seems to be secured to the joist in anyway that I can see. As such it just seems to be a case of being wedged between the joists.

On the positive side I have stood at the top of the stairs, rocked from side to side and jumped up and down (only a small jump) and there is little or no movement to this anchor point.

I have included a photo showing the existing stringer passing through the ground floor ceiling. It would appear that is no regular movement at present as it would have damaged the plaster on the ceiling.

The new stringer on the opend side will rest on the ground at the bottom and be secured to each tread so the weight will be well distributed. The stringer that goes against the wall will actually be a fake cut to fit around the stairs and will be secured to the treads as well (it can also be secured to the wall with a little effort.

To address the quality of the exisiting first floor fixings I propose just to put a couple of screws through each joist into the 2x4 to anchor this to the joists. Do you think this is sufficient?

Any thoughts?

Sam

Sponsored Links
Those stairs are a joke and contravene regulations.

Too steep and too big a spacing between spindles for starters.

All accurate points and I suspect they were a home made / DIY kit at some point. However, they got past the survey.

They have at some point replaced an identically steep stair case in this small cottage and half the houses in the town have a stair case this steep and these dimensions

There are no children to worry about the spindles but I will mention it to them incase of future children.

Any thoughts on the question in hand?

Any ideas then chaps before I stick a couple of extra screws in it and hope for the best?

Sponsored Links
Any ideas then chaps before I stick a couple of extra screws in it and hope for the best?

I think that what you propose sounds OK. Please bear in mind that I am not a builder and have only fitted one staircase in my life.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back