How should I fill in this floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's kitchen floor, 1/3 concrete, then 1/3 floorboards on joists on brick pedestals on the ground chalk (void is about a foot deep), then back to concrete. Whole floor about 12ft sq.

I want to tile over both the concrete and floorboard areas, but where this was done before, the tiles cracked at concrete/ floorboard junctions. The concrete areas are solid, floorboards flexible, so I guess best approach is to remove the boards/joists and concrete in the middle bit(?).

If so, I believe I need to dig back to solid chalk or add hardcore if flaky, add blinding, dpc, concrete, jabfloor then screed, but have a couple of questions-

1/. Is this building-control notifiable?
2/. Is there an alternative not b-c notifiable (apart from 'don't do it'!)?
3/. I have a lead water mains pipe joined to copper under the boards. I guess I need to redo this join at a point that's accessible before this floor, before enclosing the new pipe in conduit/ trunking under the floor(?)
4/. I also have central heating pipes in the floorboard void. I guess these should be plastic/ copper, no joins, in conduit. Are they usually at screed level?

Any help gratefully received! Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back