How should I install DPM to lap up wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have damp at the base of a bare brick wall, internally. The problem is due to bad pointing and standing water outside. This, I am able to rectify fairly easily.

However, I would like to also attend to the issue on the inside. I am so far adding battens and dry lining and intend to lap a DPM sheet a couple of courses up the wall. Really to stop the damp from both rotting the battens and, affecting the floor covering which is likely to be underlay + carpet or, ply sheet + underlay + carpet.

I have drawn a blank though as to the best way to run and affix the DPM sheet (see attached diagram showing options). There is a 2"gap between the edge of the concrete floor slab and the wall. I have cleared away most of the crumbly, damp debris but there is still some remaining which appears impossible to remove. Do I…
1) lap the sheet up behind the battens?
2) lap up in front of the battens but behind the plasterboard? Or,
3) affix to front of battens behind plasterboard but tuck into gap?

How would I affix the sheet in either option?
How do I stop condensation from simply running down the sheet and into the carpet?

It would be very useful to get some hints and tips from some of the professionals or experienced DIYers out there.

This post really follows on from my last one but I never really got to the bottom of what I should be doing so please bear with me going through it again.

Many thanks everyone.

Rroger_D

Sponsored Links
Given that you dont seem to have succeeded in (in any?) your earlier questions, why do you consider the penetrating damp issues to be "fairly easy to rectify"?

My point is that its pretty useless to carry on doing this or that without resolving the basic causes.

Hi ree,

Thank you for spending the time to reply. My comment re it not being resolved was not that I had tried the other options and they had failed but, that I did not understand what I should be doing.

If you have any thoughts / directions it would be most welcome.

Thanks

Perhaps post pics of the internal and external area(s) in question?

Maybe Search the large amount of info and pics on this forum's Search facility?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Do I…
1) lap the sheet up behind the battens?
2) lap up in front of the battens but behind the plasterboard? Or,
3) affix to front of battens behind plasterboard but tuck into gap?

1)

But you do need to try to solve the damp issues externally, as far as is possible.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back