How should I level off rough concrete/epoxy before laying DPM etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

This is my first post in here as I'm properly stumped on what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

I have 15m2 of utility area to do up. Currently it's no more than a concrete slab coated in what I think is some kind of (blue) epoxy. Half of it is smooth, the other half is about 3mm lower and rough. I have some DPM sheet but want to level off the surface first. Should I use something like latex Arditex NA? Will there be an issue adding DPM sheet above? Should I use a liquid DPM on top instead?

Aim is to get this prepped for 18mm T&H chipboard then laminate. Only have a total of 38mm height to play with due to existing door thresholds, hence not adding any insulation etc.

Thanks
GMAD

Sponsored Links
Just how rough is it though; and a 3mm difference would pretty much be considered as level. In addition, what makes you think you need a DPM; is the floor damp anywhere. It's possible that they've added the epoxy coating (if that's what it is) as a DPM already.

I would be inclined to go with fibreboard (but put the DPM membrane down first if it'll give you peace of mind) and then put the laminate on top of the fibreboard.

I've had a look at the Ardtex NA, and I can't see it being any better than standard SLC, so what draws you to it.

Thanks for the reply Doggit.

The NA has been recommended by 2 suppliers this week, mainly because it's supposed to adhere to the existing epoxy + it works at 3-4mm. Speaking of which, the 3-4mm drop is in the 'middle' of the space, hence my concern is with the chipboard sagging a little with wear, and beginning to creak and cause other problems over time.

Initially I was going to use No Nonsense 50 but I couldn't agree on how to prime/seal beforehand.

Looking at Vitrex Premier underlay as opposed to fibreboard. Looks like it does the trick (from online reviews).

Already have the T&G chipboard and PU glue.

Does that make better sense? Cheers

So do you intend to do the whole floor with the leveler, or just the centre. If you can level the floor reasonably well, then the Vitrex boards should be sufficient on their own, but if you put down the T&G, then you'd just need a cheap 3mm underlay to stop any noise between the boards.

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping I can get away with focusing on the 'centre'. Might touch up some of the uneven patches elsewhere too.

Vitrex boards are cheap and I can pick them up from local Screwfix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back