How should I proceed with this ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom ceiling plaster in my first condo appears to be water damaged, and the exhaust fan needs to be replaced. I know nothing about plaster, so I'm not sure what it'd take to fix, or if it would be advisable to replace the ceiling with something else.

The exhaust fan I bought is a Panasonic unit with a recessed light. I'll need to install the exhaust fan, then plaster/patch around it. The electrician said I should cut out the ceiling around the fan, remove the existing exhaust fan, mount the new one, then repair the ceiling, all from below....but he's an electrician.

Advice appreciated :)

View media item 87935

Sponsored Links
easy put 2 batons on top of opening secure with drywall screws then fix plaster board to ceiling skrim joints and plaster finish making sure edges are well troweled.
The bathroom ceiling plaster in my first condo appears to be water damaged, and the exhaust fan needs to be replaced. I know nothing about plaster, so I'm not sure what it'd take to fix, or if it would be advisable to replace the ceiling with something else.

The exhaust fan I bought is a Panasonic unit with a recessed light. I'll need to install the exhaust fan, then plaster/patch around it. The electrician said I should cut out the ceiling around the fan, remove the existing exhaust fan, mount the new one, then repair the ceiling, all from below....but he's an electrician.

Advice appreciated :)

View media item 87935

Dont take the extractor out of the box, and keep the receipt safe. Why? Because you dont yet know what fan you need, and an integral fan and light is not always a good idea.

The water damage has to be traced to its cause - possibly an underpowered exhaust or badly designed/wrong size venting, or even the vent terminal jammed or missing?

You might have to remove a little dry wall around the unit to drop it down, unless you can see the fixing screws or fixing fins.

Perhaps its best to go safe and bite the bullet of an electrician's costs - the pro should at least recommend the correct unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back