How should I straighten an internal chimney wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a wood burning stove with a horizontal flue into an upstairs internal chimney breast. The chimney was boxed in but is is now exposed for the installation, the problem I have is the vertical front face is stepped back 3 inches over 3 courses where I need to insert the flue into the chimney liner. How do I straighten up this 3 inch step? Is it feasible to add succesive coats of render to a depth of 3 inches then a final coat all over to achieve a level finish? I could batten and plaster board but this would breach the recomended minimum distances for combustible material to flue and stove.

regards

Sponsored Links
paddypower said:
I'm putting in a wood burning stove with a horizontal flue into an upstairs internal chimney breast. The chimney was boxed in but is is now exposed for the installation, the problem I have is the vertical front face is stepped back 3 inches over 3 courses where I need to insert the flue into the chimney liner. How do I straighten up this 3 inch step? Is it feasible to add succesive coats of render to a depth of 3 inches then a final coat all over to achieve a level finish? I could batten and plaster board but this would breach the recomended minimum distances for combustible material to flue and stove.

regards

It is possible to build up 3inches with a few scratch coats of sand and cement but with it being a fire it may cause cracking. To reduce the cracking you could fix eml and scratchcoat this then maybe another layer if needed also let each coat dry for a few days to reduce cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back