How should these holes be filled after new window fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The guy fitting said they would just put expanding foam in... to me these holes are too big for foam.

Whats the official proper way to do it?

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
The window looks way undersized, but the fitter should have made good. Is this a diy job gone wrong i.e. an error in measuring?

Blup

The window looks way undersized, but the fitter should have made good. Is this a diy job gone wrong i.e. an error in measuring?

Blup
I’m not sure they are undersized, the reveals look splayed to me, I’d say the windows are correct externally.

the image is a close up, so us lot looking at it cant visualise the wider picture.

The guy fitting said they would just put expanding foam in... to me these holes are too big for foam.

Whats the official proper way to do it?
It’s a bit hard to see from the image.

Id say the bottom bit wants filling, ideally with bonding then plaster top coat or easi fill.

the rest wants foam then covering with a trim or reveal replastering.

Sponsored Links
Don't know the official way. Which official, in any case? For strength, I would dig out as much of the foam as possible except right next to the window, clean up, fill with mortar, then skim on top.

It looks to me like a zoomed shot and there is a clear gap, but the OP can clarify.

Blup

It looks to me like a zoomed shot and there is a clear gap, but the OP can clarify.

Blup
Do you mean on the RHS of the window?
If so, there doesn't look like a gap, but there are several protrusions in the pic when zoomed in...

Screenshot_20230405-131626_Chrome.jpg

A bit of an optical illusion! :)

Update:

The fitter says the window was measured wrong by the surveyor - says it's too big so it does not fit - gaps at top about 1-2 inches and the corners dont line up where the side windows attach the centre window (like original bay).

The surveyor agreed 'on site' (I heard) but also later said it can be re-fitted with more trim.
Trim can cover all the gaps - both fitter and surveyor agree. Is that good enough? Feels like a botch job.

The fitter did say he did cut he sill wrong but thats because the window was measured wrong otherwise he wouldn't have.
They are both right it seems but I dont want a compromised job. Window should be made again imo.

The brown area around the new window is wall/cement so the window is touching this and the small gap filled with foam.
When the window trim came off the cement was revealed, this why the window was measured to big by the surveyor.
So it's a neutral mistake - nobody knew it was trim on the edge.

You can see the window is not flush with the ceiling as the old window was.
The fitter said there was no trim on this window at the top when he removed the old window and so it was measured wrong.
The surveyor is responsible for paying for a new window if he measured wrong. So surveyor has a vested interest in not taking responsibility.
Surveyor says he has 43 year experience and it will be fine.

I think the fitter is right because the surveyor couldn't see the cement when he measured + hes done a good job on the other windows.
The last image is the original window. Im no expert but it does like look there is NO trim at top if you closely - but not a great pic to see it.

The fitters (good guys) quit based on this window and other things the company has done in the recent past.
So on Wednesday the NEW fitters and the surveyor will be on site.

So this window is a temporary fit until they sort it out.
What do knowledgable people think?

One of the reasons for new windows - apart from the old ones being wood and the window panes needing replacing anyway - was the acoustic value. So hearing less road noise. Although the trickle vents ruin any sound proofing benefits I dont want the fit to be adding to more noise.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpeg
    IMG_1176.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 54
  • 2023-04-08 13.29.46@2x.png
    2023-04-08 [email protected]
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Seems like a poor design for a bedroom window as it has no means of fire escape, unless there is another window in the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back