How Solid Is an External Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking for a front door for a client. They want a solid hardwood colonial style door for me to paint. It seems that "Solid" doesn't actually mean one type of wood and in fact most seem to be veneered. As the door will have to be trimmed by half an inch I am worried that there wont be enough veneer to stand that much trimming. And why do the door merchants advertise Dowelling "for extra strength to avoid twisting and warping" when I always assumed Mortice and tennon was preferable ?

Cheers Joe

Sponsored Links
For max strength, a solid core door with beading on it. Or even a steel sheet and beading cut to what ever designs you want.

Tell them to source it - they've probably got something in mind.

It seems that "Solid" doesn't actually mean one type of wood and in fact most seem to be veneered.

You must be looking at the cheap doors then.

There are lots of solid wood doors available

Again, dowelled joints are common on the cheaper doors, but in practice, it makes little difference

Sponsored Links
I didn't put any price limit on it just the style which appears to be known as colonial. Interesting that dowelled joints make little difference. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back