Mortice + tenon external hardwood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just had 2 mortice + tenon external hardwood doors fitted. I've got questions:

- How can you tell if a door is mortice + tenon, as opposed to dowelled? The guy who fitted them is saying that the joints can be seen on the ends of the door. If it was dowelled u wouldn't see that.

- Since he fitted the doors i have fitted a few extra security bolts etc + i can't believe how soft the 'hardwood' doors are when i'm screwing into them. I've already got hardwood windows + trust me, they are murder to screw into :mad: :mad: .......yet these doors are almost easier than softwood.

Any ideas much appreciated

Sponsored Links
you will see oblongs of end grain at the sides

hardwoods is pretty much any tree that drops its leaves including balsawood :cry:

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies

- yep i can see the oblong at the end of the doors. So at least they're mortice + tenon.

- ok if anything is considered hardwood nowadays :rolleyes: , + the fact that i seem to have 'soft' hardwood doors..........should i be concerned about longevity? Should i be putting on a few extra coats of varnish? (i've already put on 4no coates) And should i be talking to my joiner + giving him an earful :evil: ......i was charged £550 for supply + fit to 2no doors - was i ripped off?

if you didnt specify which hardwood youll have to rely on the chippies choice
a hard hardwood dosnt nessiserily last longer than a softer hardwood

oak for example is easy to work when green but once seasoned goes hard like iron

if he has a reputation he will select a sutable wood

indeed its a requirement of any good tradesman that the materials and workmanship is up to an exceptable standard and fit for purpose

ask what wood he chose ;)

He told me that he got the doors from a local timber yard......nothing more than that.

Say, for example, u go pick up 2no off the shelf hardwood M+T doors from your local timber yard - do u think £550 is reasonalbe.

peca27
Just a little aside, it's not that any timber is considered to be a hardwood.
Hardwood and softwoods are classified by their cell structure balsa wood has the cell structure of a hardwood therefore it is classified so. :)

What was the question ;)

4 coates of varnish ,plenty enough
If you're joiner MADE and fitted the doors I don't think £550 was unreasonable, and that is for doors made out of softwood or hardwood.If he bought them maybe the price could have been less

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back