How soon can self levelling compound be applied to a sand cement screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just laid a sand cement screed with fibres in but need to apply a floor levelling compound just to get it spot on
How soon can this be done ? Manny thanks rob

Sponsored Links
Seeing as you need to give the screed days/weeks to dry I'd hold off and do it at after that. That's what I did on mine. But I guess if you're doing it for a client that may be an issue. Not sure if the SLC would stop the screed drying out?

The SLC won't stop the screed drying out, but it will take longer, so wait a bit before you do it. You need a 6ft spirit level to determine the high spot of the floor, then work out from there. SLC doesn't actually level itself, and it need help moving it around, and it's best if you have an idea of where the level should be. Having found your high spot, Work outwards in metre square pattern, and drill the floor and use rawlplugs and screws to continue the level from the high spot. Depending on the area, and how hot the day is, you'll need 2 buckets to work with, one person to mix, one to pour the SLC into the bucket, one to lay, and the person pouring the mix into the bucket can then be cleaning the previous bucket out, and filling it with water. Use a bucket with a line marked for the right amount of water, and maybe add half a litre extra to make it a little runnier, not no more than that. The person laying the SLC will spread it around using a trowel, to the level of the screw heads. If it's a large area, you'll want spiked shoes, and a spiked roller to get the air out.

Damn it, just reread the OP, and noticed the word soon. Read it first as how can this be done. Well, you may already know all of the above, but I'm loathe to delete all my hard work. Best of luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your great detail , the screed is approximately 75mm thick if I leave it for 5 days do you think it's ok to self level ? Should I prime the screed with sbr or poly bond 5-1 ? Also there's loads of fibres poking through any tips on how to flatten them off as I'm sure there going to poke through

Just how deep/shallow are you hoping to get the SLC. You could use a floor scraper to take most of them off. 5 days is a little quick, because the SLC will slow the drying time down. I'd give it 14 days to play safe, as you'll often get a recomendation of 1 day per mm for drying times. You should be able to use Wickes acrylic primer to seal the concrete floor prior to laying the SLC.

Back