How thermostatic valves work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just wanted ot find out how the thermostat works, and also how thermo valves work?

If there is a thermostat in the hallway with a TRV valve, then the thermostat would trigger the boiler for heat if the temperature goes down. So how does the the trvs work on each room? for example, heat will be called if hallway temp goes down, so how does the thermo valves in each room work ? what do they do ?

Sponsored Links
If thermostat is set to 25degrees, when the air temperature of the room in which the stat is located in reaches 25degrees, this will shut off the whole CH.

TRVs are just individual radiator controls incase you want certain rooms cooler or hotter.

There shouldn't be a TRV on the radiator that is within the same room as the thermostat because the TRV because the stat needs to sense the un-adjusted temperature of the radiator so that it controls the rest of the house more efficiently.

I' probably not the best at explaining things, I'm pretty sure there are better answers to your question within Google

edit: There is a wax stick inside the TRV which expands with the heat to shut off the valve.

So the higher it is from the pin (TRV turned up) the longer it will take to expand to turn off the valve, so the hot water flows through the rads for longer and therefore heats the room more.

If thermostat is set to 25degrees, when the air temperature of the room in which the stat is located in reaches 25degrees, this will shut off the whole CH.

TRVs are just individual radiator controls incase you want certain rooms cooler or hotter.

There shouldn't be a TRV on the radiator that is within the same room as the thermostat because the TRV because the stat needs to sense the un-adjusted temperature of the radiator so that it controls the rest of the house more efficiently.

I' probably not the best at explaining things, I'm pretty sure there are better answers to your question within Google

i think your explanation is fine apart from saying the TRV is to make the room hotter, i always explain a TRV as having only 1 function, to cool a room below the stat temp, it seems easier for some to understand, set at max the TRV is in effect not there as the room will heat to the stat temp, so explaining its function to keep the room below the stat temp seems to get through

Sponsored Links
Also the better trvs are liquid filled opposed to wax ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back