How to adjust upvc door hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Looks the same as mine, we had the same thing happen. In our case the hinge is not adjustable at all and one of the screws holding it to the frame had come away slightly. The GF wouldn't let me fix it so we got in a "professional" locksmith who said he could fix it in half an hour who spend 2+ hours scratching his head and trying to drill bits out using a self tapping screw as a drill bit and left having made it worse, I paid him just to get rid but held him to his initial quote which was for about half an hours work and took it as yet another lesson that doing it yourself isn't a bad thing.

If you can get the pin out you may be able to fix the screw by replacing it with a slightly bigger one, but the pin on ours had security features to prevent removal so he kind of forced a drill bit and screw in as he couldn't remove the pin.

If the door has dropped then its best that the glass is re-packed. This should be done with plastic pckers that you can find at a diy store or local builders merchants. Take the bead out and using a blunt wood chisel(unless you have a proper plastic tool) insert between the glass and the frame.This will lift the frame allowing you to put extra packers between the glass and the frame. I guess the door is catching when closing?
It looks like the type of hinges you have will only give a minimal ammount of adjustment.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Karlos.

Those hinges look like the type with zero adjustment.

Toe and heel packing is relatively simple and will pull that corner up a treat. You can get quite nasty levering with a bolster chisel directly on top of the glass. I've seen fitters do it and i always cringe watching them lever up off the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back