How to approach getting a new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bit bewildered by all the choices and elaborate baths, sinks, showers, and toilets when I search for 'bathroom showrooms near me' in google, none have any price, and I don't really want a square toilet with a hidden cistern. I want a normal bathroom for a normal person, where preferably everything is easily accessible, serviceable, and replaceable.

Am I better off finding a recommended bathroom fitter first, and have them recommend what to do and where to buy the bath, shower, toilet, sink?

Sponsored Links
You can have whatever you want- subject to will it fit the space and can you afford it.
You will save a lot of money if you install it yourself but a bathroom may be a bit ambitious for a first DIY project, there's a lot going on.
On the other hand, if you aren't diy-ing it then let your fitter supply all the kit, you supplying for them fitting will go wrong. You do need sizes and shapes in mind- it's worth spending a bit more on an easy clean loo (where the outside is smooth rather than fiddly bits), do you need storage under the basin (vanity unit), extra long or wide bath, that sort of thing. So look online for the styles you want, print the pages (or save the links) to show your fitter.

First things are to measure the bathroom on a footprint plan view sketch.
Still in plan view, now you can design your b/r - which fixtures and features go where?
It doesn't have to be perfect but just a rough idea of what you want.
Controlling the design is, where is the soil pipe, the height of the window board and the position of the doorway.
As above, nothing strange. Keep it a simple, normal, traditional b/r.
If you need any further help or have Q's then come back here.

Dont rush anything or start demolishing stuff - be advised before making any moves.

A run of shallow cabinets with a semi-inset sink and a back to wall toilet is a good, and easy to clean set-up that hides all the plumbing. A hidden cistern need not be inaccessible. The front panel over the toilet can be detachable. Always choose a high quality hidden cistern - I use Gerberit - a little dearer but really good quality and spares availability. In fact, the Gerberit cisterns' innards are designed to be accessible through the large size flush plate which is easily detachable.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit bewildered by all the choices and elaborate baths, sinks, showers, and toilets when I search for 'bathroom showrooms near me' in google, none have any price, and I don't really want a square toilet with a hidden cistern. I want a normal bathroom for a normal person, where preferably everything is easily accessible, serviceable, and replaceable.

Am I better off finding a recommended bathroom fitter first, and have them recommend what to do and where to buy the bath, shower, toilet, sink?
Last winter i made a list of what was needed for a new bathroom then googled my head off over each item, bookmarking possibilities, then ticked off each item one by one til i had all the necessary ingredients to make our bathroom great again.
First thing i'd do in your shoes is measure every inch and angle of the room to see what will fit...

Most of the online bathroom fitters will have, more or less, set plans that they adapt. Most bathrooms are a small square or oblong room and relatively easy to measure and plan for.As above you need to do the measuring etc and then layout what you want in consultation with the fitter. It will be more expensive but you will get what you want and not what a bathroom fitter thinks you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back