How to avoid leaving one radiator "open"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my central heating system. I want to have system on all the time and control each room individually using TRVs and do not want to leave one radiator open. Bungalow, sealed system, 11 radiators.

Old system was Worcester 28RSF with Danfoss 103E5 timer and TRVs on all radiators. Worcester's technical staff gave instructions on fitting an additional by-pass to obviate need for leaving an open radiator. Worked OK.

New system Worcester Greenstar 28i with a Honeywell CM921 Wireless Room Thermostat. Installer insists on having one radiator "open" (no TRV) - which I've tried and it doesn't suit me.

Any way of having all radiators on TRVs, no open radiator and is by-pass already fitted likely to suffice? (Still have Worcester's instructions for by-pass spec.)

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
New system Worcester Greenstar 28i with a Honeywell CM921 Wireless Room Thermostat. Installer insists on having one radiator "open" (no TRV) - which I've tried and it doesn't suit me.
why don't it suit you ?

you should not have a trv fitted in the room were the room stat is fitted, usually the hall.

Different people in different rooms want different temps at various times of day/night. Leaving system on all the time enables each individual to turn heating on/off in their own space. Means room with open radiator gets roasting hot even when it's empty. If it's on a TRV can be turned off/down.

Sponsored Links
Exactly as installer (very nice person) has fittted it - no TRV in hall. Will only solution be to switch boiler on and off via thermostat controls?

Exactly as installer (very nice person) has fittted it - no TRV in hall. Will only solution be to switch boiler on and off via thermostat controls?

If you turn the hall trv off then your boiler will not be thermostaticaly controled.

Its been designed to save the householder money and its also for comfort.

if ya really want ya could just ignore what the experts have to say, you could even fit two trvs to the hall rad if ya want.

how long have you been a heating engineer for your

Sorry, don't understand. Can't turn the rad down as it's got two lockshield valves. Can they be adjusted to turn the rad down? Apologies for being a bit thick!

Sorry, don't understand. Can't turn the rad down as it's got two lockshield valves. Can they be adjusted to turn the rad down? Apologies for being a bit thick!

it is not suposed to be turned off, because if its turned off it defeats the purpose of the room stat,

surely an automatic bypass valve would allow all rads to be individually controlled as opposed to one being used as a bypass

Thanks for advice. Understand that room stat and what I want not compatible - for reasons you've pointed out. Can systems be fitted just with old fashioned timer, no room stat and meet building regs?

kirkgas, that's what I'd hoped, with the room stat being portable it would respond to whatever heated room it was in, therefore all rads could be on TRVs.

Thanks for advice. Understand that room stat and what I want not compatible - for reasons you've pointed out. Can systems be fitted just with old fashioned timer, no room stat and meet building regs?

no you need a room stat for building regs

surely an automatic bypass valve would allow all rads to be individually controlled as opposed to one being used as a bypass

its not being used as a bypass

there is already a bypass fitted to system.

there should not be a trv fitted in the same room as the room stat, because the trv could stop the room stat from doing its job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back