How to bleed an oil boiler - damsel in distress :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, trying to help a single mother out. She let her oil tank run dry (lack of funds), and now it's locked out. She got a delivery of oil today, but it still won't fire up, even if she resets it.

I'm assuming there's an airlock in the fuel pipe, and it needs to be bled? Unfortunately, though I'm pretty handy with most things, I don't know a lot about boilers. I had a look at mine, and couldn't identify a bleed nipple or anything, but I'm going to drive over and have a look at hers anyway.

It's a fairly new Firebird Envirogreen Combi Boiler, I believe - from their website, I think maybe the burner looks like this, but I haven't actually seen it yet:

Screenshot 2023-03-20 124339.jpg

Can anybody help please?

Sponsored Links
Maybe if you can crack open the flexible hose that goes to the oil pump, you’ll get away with that?
John

Preferably use the oil gauge connection as this allows air inside the pump to be bled. Try not to lose the tiny o-ring which is under the screw. Preferably collect the oil in a jam jar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody, I ended up watching a Youtube video, and loosened the Allen screw in the end of (8) above slightly - worked well, she has heat again :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back