How to block soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have knocked our downstairs bathroom and kitchen into one. (Don't worry, I have a new upstairs bathroom!) The soil pipe from the old loo goes vertically down through the floor, and then bends to meet the drain outside - I can raise a manhole and see where it joins the drain.

I've made a temporary seal with a sort of rubber bung from B&Q shoved in the top of the pipe - it kept debris from falling down and getting into and blocking the drain. To permanently seal it (don't want any possibility of whiffs or worse coming up into the new kitchen from the drain.) I was intending to pour a bag of 'post-mix' concrete down the pipe, then add water. I'm worried the cementy water will seep through before the concrete goes off and block the drain. I'd be grateful of any advice as to the best way to block the pipe!

TIA

Sponsored Links
if you wish to block off the reduntant pipe i have used a small amount of news paper to block the hole and then used cement to create a plug,bench the cement over the collar so that it will be a solid lump and then it won't be able to slide down the pipe use you rubber bung at the other end in the pipe that exits into the manhole cover ,then over the years when the news paper rots away it will not block up the drain downstream

hope this helps

if you are having this as a kitchen make sure you abide to the building regs having ventilation in the kitchen

all the best

gary

As long as you make sure the drain pipe is sealed below the cement, you can do what you propose. Don't mix too much water with cement, then the water shouldn't seep through your temporary seal below.

A squirt of builders foam would stick very well to wet sides and make a watertight seal. A cap of concrete would be appropriate I'd have thought, though I can't think right now of anything which would shift the foam.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - I think I'll use ALL your suggestions - put the rubber bung in the bottom of the pipe (lean down through the manhole - I can just reach), then squirt some foam down the pipe from indoors, followed by some water to make it go off. Then the post-mix concrete and water.

ChrisR said:
A squirt of builders foam would stick very well to wet sides and make a watertight seal. A cap of concrete would be appropriate I'd have thought, though I can't think right now of anything which would shift the foam.

it rots over time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back