How To Bond Peel & Stick Vinyl Tiles To Porcelain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How to bond peel and stick vinyl tiles to porcelain? Too much trouble to remove the porcelain tiles now that the ceramic wall tiles are up. I got a same day response from Mapei advising me to contact the manufacturer. I won't waste my time with that as the manufacturer of these peel and stick vinyl tiles are sure not to reply:

I've used this product twice before successfully. Both times overboarding with ply. I'd rather not overboard as I'm trying not to increase the floor height. Are there any (contact/spray?) adhesives designed to bond peel and stick to porcelain tiles? B&Q stock some 'seemingly' suitable products, but when I read the exclusions, vinyl tiles were excluded. Anyone bonded these peel and stick planks to porcelain floor tiles?!

Sponsored Links
Why do you think that they would not stick to porcelain?

I would have thought that the porcelain tiles would be an ideal substrate for the adhesive on the vinyl tiles.

You may need to level off the existing grout lines though.

Already attempted it. Stuck one plank down well for a few hours. Later in the day, the plank popped off the porcelain tiled surface. Without a doubt, I need some kind of adhesive that bonds well for two non porous surfaces.

The surface is clean and totally flat. It'd be a real shame if I had to overboard with ply and stick the peel & stick onto the ply. I don't want to raise the floor height if I can help it.

Already attempted it. Stuck well for a few hours. Later in the day, the planks popped off the surface. Without a doubt, I need some kind of adhesive that bonds well for two non porous surfaces.

Fair enough, I would have expected that the adhesive would have worked better with non-porous substrates.

Having read the reviews, one person mentioned that they used a cloth and iron to activate the glue on some of them.

Sponsored Links
I've read every review for all versions of this product on B&Q. Alas, I cannot find the review I read on there some months ago about a customer who used a particular spray adhesive to bond these peel and stick planks to his porcelain tiles. I'm going to need more than an iron to bond two non porous surfaces!

I've read every review for all versions of this product on B&Q. Alas, I cannot find the review I read on there some months ago about a customer who used a particular spray adhesive to bond these peel and stick planks to his porcelain tiles. I'm going to need more than an iron to bond two non porous surfaces!

reading some of the other reviews, I came across this one

This was bought and installed 5 months ago in a small kitchen. The existing wooden floor was cleaned and spray carpet glue was used to help stick down the vinyl planks, this is a must! Easy to cut and place together. The flooring looks great, has nice texture under foot. Early days but wearing OK and easy to clean. Only issue so far is that the plank end joints are opening up exposing a gap. Its like the planks are shrinking along its length only?! Don't know why, no water spillage or too much heat. Shame really as floor is otherwise great.

I guess they mean something like the following

reading some of the other reviews, I came across this one

I guess they mean something like the following

We used this in college, to stick down some carpet tiles that had come loose, after being laid by professionals. It is good stuff because they ones I laid are still in position over 2 years later. They were laid on screeded floors.
The gaps at the end, mentioned in the review, may be due to the floorboard's natural movement with humidity/temperature changes in the kitchen.
You shouldn't get that happening with porcelain tiles.

That reviewer that stated, "...this is a must!" is probably the review that I've misremembered. In that case, a wood floor (and not porcelain tiles) was used as a substrate to bond the peel and stick planks.

I've overboarded with ply twice before with this kind of flooring and it's still stuck down 5+ years later. I've combed the usual forums and YouTube but alas there's little or nothing about bonding peel and stick to porcelain tiles. Peel and stick bonded to any kind of wood based sheet material such as ply is straightforward. Also, quite a few of the contact spray adhesives specifically exclude soft flexible PVC which these peel and stick planks are. E.g.

I'll have to have a look at some more spray contact adhesive technical data sheets and check exclusions. I'll perhaps take a punt on one or two and see if the planks bond to the porcelain tiles. If not, I'll have to overboard with 1/4" ply. Not ideal, but a solution nevertheless! :)

How large an area do you need to cover?

Puraflex 40 seems to stick anything to anything. But it's in sealant tube, so will be expensive and possibly not very practical.

What about carpet double sided tape?

Alas, too large an area to use a sealant/caulking gun. It'll be too messy with the adhesive squeezing out between the peel and stick planks. I'll have to use a spray that bonds two non-porous surfaces together. If I can find one...

Failing that, I'll have to reluctantly overboard with ply and raise the floor height. Thanks for posting.

Alas, I couldn't find any mention on the technical data sheet for prim grip that recommended for use on flexible vinyl PVC tiles.

Aha! Now I understand. It seems this product can be used on non-porous surfaces like my porcelain tiles.

I can't find any post or videos in the usual places where someone has actually used this for peel and stick tiles. However, I'm very grateful for your post as plenty of reviewers on Toolstation and the like have commented that it leaves a grainy sandy surface texture. I expect that will prime my porcelain tiles well to take the peel and stick planks. Thanks a lot @dazlight, I feel this is a product that will work! :)

The best way would be to put a 3-5mm coat of smoothing compound after the primer but you will be ok with peel and stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back