How to break into a Securefast locked door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved in two years ago one of the rooms had a Securefast lock on it. We don't know the combination, and have no way to contact the previous owner.

I'd always meant to remove it but never got around to it. Then last week someone knocked the snib off and pulled the door closed, so now we can't get in.

Is there any way to get into this? Do we need to destroy and replace the door?

What would you do?

Pics below:
2016-01-23 13.57.23.jpg

2016-01-23 13.57.34.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I never thought about knocking out the hinge pins. I'll try that. And if not then the angle grinder on the hinges.

And then I'll remove that silly lock!

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
It might be possible to find the code by the sounds each key makes as it is pressed.

After clearing the lock ( key C ) one of the keys ( the first digit of the code ) will operate more of the mechanism than the other keys.

Hence the key that is the first digit will ( should ) result in a different sound ( ear against the door ) than the other keys. That might identify the first digit.

You will have to clear the lock before pressing each of the digit keys. C 1 C 2 C 3 and so on

Then to find the second digit

C * 1 C * 2 C * 3 where * is the known ( suspected ) first digit.

And so on until the lock opens

This is a theory, no garantee it will work

Get two very thin flat blade screwdrivers. Insert them into the gap like this...

doorcodelock.jpg

Lets say you only have 2mm of play to work with. Use the first screwdriver to press against the latch and lever it to the right by 2mm. Then with the second screwdriver, press against the latch so that it doesn't spring back to its original position, just to hold it there. Then, again with the first screwdriver, lever the latch to the right by 2mm more. Then hold its position with the second screwdriver again. Repeat these steps, moving the latch to the right by 2mm extra each time until it opens.

Bernards trick of 'feeling' for the code does work, but is only really possible on old, well worn locks that have had the same code for years. The springiness of the keys that have been constantly used fades and make a slightly different noise and feel different when pressed. Don't forget that with this type of lock, you can press the keys for the code in any order, or press all the right keys together, or two at a time, etc, etc.

Gaz :)

Last edited:
Many thanks Gaz and Bernard. If the sounds don't help me I will try the screwdriver trick tonight. That sounds promising!

I'll let you know how I get on.

I wonder what or who was kept in there?

The mother in law perhaps?

BTW - once you get back in you can reprogram the lock, so be careful aout dismantling it.
Stick it on ebay.

The 1mm disc is for cutting through the latch, use 2 screwdrivers to open the gap between the door and frame. Then cut through the latch with the disc and the door will open.

The lock will now be worth nothing and will need throwing away.

Andy

Yes I did!

In the end I decided to try and work through the combinations, starting with the numbers that looked most used.

When I looked more closely I could see that the area around some keys was clean and slightly oily, whereas others were dirty and dusty. I got it on the 2nd attempt! You can just about see from the photo what i mean, though in person it is much clearer to see.

It was C 123 XZ

Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back