UPVC door with mostly knackered locking mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

we have a backdoor on our house that we think was fitted about 5 years ago or so, we bought the ouse 4 years ago.

It has a standard (?) locking mechanism as far as i can tell, where you lift the handle, and it engages two claws and other bits (!) to lock it into the frame.

It's been a little characterful since we move in, but all you had to do was pull the door in as you closed it, and that would enable you to push the handle all the way up, engage the claws and then lock it.

I had always assumed, that this meant the door was not quite aligning properly in the frame, and that was why we had to pull it in before the handle would go up.

Yesterday morning my gf could not manage to get it to lock, so I had a look and determined with the door open that it would not do it freely whetehr the door was shut or open, ie the frame was not influencing the outcome at all.

I pushed in the lock, and then tried the lever several times and finally managed to get it to all the way up, and for the claws to come out.

LUCKILY I also managed this when the door was shut, as due to the design there is no way to lock it unless the claws are engaged, the key will simply not turn :eek:

So my question is, is this something I might conceivably be able to tackle by myself, or should I get a professional in?

Presumably it must be the mechanism in the door, so simple tasks such as changing the lock is not going to make a jot of difference.

Worst case, does it sound like I might need a whole new door.....? :confused:

I nervously await your replies.........

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
the door is probably fine. your lock is knackered. firstly does the key turn at all

Hi Bowie,

the Key turns fine, but only if I can get the handle up - otherwise it only turns a small portion of the way.

I opened it last night just to have a look at the strip, and then scared myself silly as I nearly could not get it to lock again.

I had just the same happen with our conservatory door. It slowly became more difficult to turn the handle up to lock it. I gave the mechanism a good spray of WD40 from the outside edge, trying to make sure it went inside to get to the bits that move. I know its not recommended for locks, but this door was about to become unlockable. It freed up the mechanism and now its as smooth as as it could be 12 months later.

I also took the handles off and got to the euro style lock and having slid it out sprayed from that place too. I was careful not to get WD40 into the lock itself.

Sponsored Links
I had just the same happen with our conservatory door. It slowly became more difficult to turn the handle up to lock it. I gave the mechanism a good spray of WD40 from the outside edge, trying to make sure it went inside to get to the bits that move. I know its not recommended for locks, but this door was about to become unlockable. It freed up the mechanism and now its as smooth as as it could be 12 months later.

I also took the handles off and got to the euro style lock and having slid it out sprayed from that place too. I was careful not to get WD40 into the lock itself.

That's interesting btb, I may give that a go over the weekend.

Did you take the strip off at all, or just spray WD40 with it all still connected....?

I didn't take the strip off, thought I would try without first in case it all came apart. I just sprayed the places it looked obvious to get inside.

It was last year so can't remember exactly which area was the place that had the most effect, though it might have been spraying inside after taking the cylinder out.

I didn't take the strip off, thought I would try without first in case it all came apart. I just sprayed the places it looked obvious to get inside.

It was last year so can't remember exactly which area was the place that had the most effect, though it might have been spraying inside after taking the cylinder out.

So pardon my ignorance here, but taking the cylinder out, does that mean you took the handle off, and tool the lock cylinder/barrel out..?

I expect I am using the wrong terms here, but hopefully you get the gist :oops:

Yes, my door is fitted a euro cylinder lock, take off the handles and it slides out, you just have to turn the key a little so the cam lines up with the gap first. As you turn the key and try to slide it out (either side), you'll feel the cam fit the gap and it will come out. It will become clear what I mean by that when you do it. Not complicated and nothing to drop out, it will easily go back.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to say, the cylinder (barrel) is also held in place with a screw. If you look at the edge of the door there is a screw that stands alone, ie not part of a pair, that screws into the cylinder, you have to remove that first. Was so long a go I forgot about that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back