How to bridge this cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an alcove which used to contain a window but since an extension was built, years ago, is now just an alcove in an internal wall.

I have lowered the bottom of the alcove by removing one course of bricks. There is a damp proof membrane in the cavity and, below that is cavity wall insulation. See photos:
IMG_2180.jpg
IMG_2181.jpg

I want to be able to tile this surface. What is the correct way to fill this cavity? I could shove 3 inches of mortar into it laying on top of the DPM, but is there a better/correct way?

Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
You don't need that dpm. Think I'd remove.
Insulation won't do anything either.
Fix wood support to back wall for Hardie backer to sit on.
Hardie backer board over cavity stuck with polymer grab and couple of screws.
Plaster fill wall to match in

Hi all,

I have an alcove which used to contain a window but since an extension was built, years ago, is now just an alcove in an internal wall.

I have lowered the bottom of the alcove by removing one course of bricks. There is a damp proof membrane in the cavity and, below that is cavity wall insulation. See photos:
View attachment 302145 View attachment 302147

I want to be able to tile this surface. What is the correct way to fill this cavity? I could shove 3 inches of mortar into it laying on top of the DPM, but is there a better/correct way?

Thank you for any help.
Foam in a cavity closer then foam or dab a piece of plasterboard over the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both.

It is no longer an outside wall since the extension was built on the other side of it.

A cavity closer will be easier for me to get (and transport) than the Hardie backer board and I already have a piece of plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back