How to bypass or override Vaillant Timeswitch 140

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Apologies if this is a dumb question but..
I am planning to replace the VRT 30 thermostat connected to my Ecotec Plus boiler with the new Nest Thermostat E.
The boiler also has a Timeswitch 140 fitted.
So, I was wondering how I can bypass or override the Timeswitch so that I can do all the timings etc from the Nest E Thermostat.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help - the TimerSwitch has an always-on feature I was not aware of.

Unfortunately, once I got started, the labels on the Thermostat don't match up with the choices presented in the Nest app.

The nest app talks about Common and Normally Open.
But the VRT-30 and the Boiler thermostat connections are labelled 3,4,5

The Vaillant thermostat wires are as follows
Red goes to 3/L,
green to 4/*
Black to 5/N

Can someone help me translate from Vaillant numbers to Nest labels? Thanks

The boiler manual states the following:
VRT 30 (room thermostat) - Wall-mounted, 3-wire connection to terminals 3-4-5

Terminals 3 and 4 are linked together when the boiler is supplied.
If external controls are used, this link must be removed, and the controls connected across terminals 3 and 4.
Terminal 5 is an additional neutral connection for external neutrals such as from the anticipator of a room thermostat.

Thank you.

Attachments

• thermostat internal (Small).jpg
    thermostat internal (Small).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 244
  • thermostatwiring (Small).jpg
    thermostatwiring (Small).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 219
3&4 to NO and COM on the nest, safely isolate the N , nest E doent use a N it uses batteries, dont touch any links at the boier, and it doesnt matter which way round you connect the wires at the nest

Sponsored Links
Thank you, Ian - seems to be working now - much appreciated.
Local official Nest recommended installation guy who lives around the corner - wanted £80 to fit!!
Probably would have taken him 10-15mins max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back