How to charge a 6v sealed lead acid battery

So explain it to me without being a dick. Or dont.

Start by telling us what the starting point for "explaining it" should be. Can you cope with, for example, Ohms Law?

Have you bothered to Google for "lead acid battery charging"?

(And frankly, a reference to "magic smoke" is FAR from "being a dick". On that scale, it's about at the level of "are you sure it's plugged in?".)

Sponsored Links
Its one thing to say "you'll let magic smoke out" and another to say that AND explain why it might happen.

I'm not one of the "is it even plugged in" types. Former IT guy, mess about soldering bits and pieces, fixing some simple things etc. Never had to deal with charging though.

Electronics (in depth) is a new field to me, i'm not careless enough to just stick this battery on a random power supply and hope for the best. When i get some pointers i will start researching, but as things stand there is too much info "googling" it...

Its one thing to say "you'll let magic smoke out" and another to say that AND explain why it might happen.

I'm not one of the "is it even plugged in" types. Former IT guy, mess about soldering bits and pieces, fixing some simple things etc. Never had to deal with charging though.

Electronics (in depth) is a new field to me, i'm not careless enough to just stick this battery on a random power supply and hope for the best. When i get some pointers i will start researching, but as things stand there is too much info "googling" it...

So how many pages of basic knowledge do you want me to write out for you after a long day of work?

A typical, every day rotary potentiometer is rated at no more than 200mW, commonly as low as 50mW. Apply Ohm's Law, and you will see why this doesn't work.

Please do not confuse short answers with 'being a dick'. If you want to see a dick, just look for ban-all-sheds posting around the place.

Sponsored Links
The voltage will need to be between 6.6 volt and 6.9 volt a voltage regulator tends to come as 5 volt the 7805 a red LED has a thresh hold voltage of around 1.2 volt and a standard silicon diode around 0.6 volt so one could make a regulator with three components with an output of around 1 amp.

However you still need a DC source and a ready built unit costs £10 so hardly worth the effort.

As to battery I have found gel batteries on a wheel chair do gradually recover. I was given one without charger and first trip about 100 yards and flat but after 5 trips I was getting 1/2 mile before flat it needs to be cycled it does not matter how long on charger it will not recover it's the discharging and re-charging which gets them going.

I also had a occupant controlled electric wheel chair and a mobility scooter so I was not too worried if wheel chair battery recovered or not.

The CTEK is about the best 6 volt charger Lidl and Aldi do from time to time sell a charger very like the Ctek which it would seem does have 6/12 volt switch but there are some poor revues on them but at £14 personally I would take the chance and buy one when next on offer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back