Lead Acid battery charging.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have smart chargers and energy monitors, so when I put my car on charge I can see if charge complete from my bedroom.

However first with Kia car with 95 Ah battery, and then with mobility scooter with 2 35 Ah batteries I have noted as the battery continues to charge the time between low rate and higher rate becomes less.

Scooter2021-2.jpg
this is the mobility scooter reached a point now where the two rates are changing that rapid that they merge together on the display the same with Kia battery
charge30-4-20_1.jpg
the spikes get closer and closer together the longer it is on charge for. Now I have very little info on the mobility scooter charger, but the Lidi charger used on the Kia does tell you what is does, at 14.4 volts it drops charge rate to 0.1 amp, and at 12.7 volt it increases it to 0.8 amp, I would have expected as the battery gets more and more charge the decay time would increase, but it seems the reverse is true.

Now with the other car, there were very few spikes and it in the end dropped to zero charge rate, switching back on at 11:40 every day for a few minutes, clearly the car does something at 11:40. So with the Kia I assumed either a drain on battery by the car, or battery getting too old, don't remember this happening in the summer.

But when the mobility scooter did the same, then I started to wonder what is going on. Any ideas, in both cases the chargers say can be left one 24/7 365 days of the year with no problem.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back